1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Drifts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvcski, Feb 13, 2003.

1. jvcski

jvcski Member

Ok, So we get a good amount of fluffy snow, then the wind picks up, in turn it blows snow over some my customers driveways, creating snowdrifts, The owners call me and say, "can you come plow my driveway again," i'm just a little confused as to weather or not i should charge these people for another "push" or should i do it for nothing...Let me know what you all think i should do...

I appriciate all of your imput to helping me out so far in plowing :waving: :)
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

If it takes the same amount of time, charge them. Sometimes only a small portion of a drive will drift so I charge according to how long it takes to plow it. Whatever you do don't do it for free. The wind can be quite profitable.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Same as SDlawndawg.It's not your fault the wind drifted the snow onto the drive.Reduce charges accordingly.

Might want to put it in your contract,that if you have to return,they will be charged again,to clean up.
  4. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i've had the same situation before. if the customer calls then charge them. if i'm driving by and see it, i may do a quick clean up as a "courtesy plow"
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Same as Got Snow. If I happen to drive by and it needs a little, I mark it on the bill with "no charge". Let's them know I'm taking care of them. But if THEY call ME, then charge them if even less than the push rate and call it "clean up - $xxx".

However, one of those "no charge" deals is where I did the most damage so far to one of my plows.
  6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

They call for drift clean up you got to charge them!! unless you need to make friends and influence people
  7. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

you must be reading my mind. i try to mark my reciepts with "n/c". it shows a difference.
  8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Yea if its just the end where the county trucks go by I will just quick make a pass and clean it up, but I agree if it drifts and you have to re plow the whole thing then it should be charged.
  9. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

charge them

I try to plow the snow on the east side of the driveway because the wind is out of the north west most of the time in my area . But if I`m called , I charge at least half the plowing price because of time , and gas , ware and tare on the truck and also insurance .
    Just my 2 cents
  10. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I've had to clean out drifts at one of my seasonal payers twice this week after we had two small snowfalls of less then 1/2" each.

The house sits at the edge of a 30 acre hay field and has nothing to stop the wind except for the drive which is where the snow ends up when it's windy.
    He does have a snow fence up too thou which helps some.

He's got a 3" trigger and anything under that It's on an as called basis.
    He's called both times and will be charged both times but i'll give him a break on the price since i'm not doing the whole drive.

11. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

DanG .... If they are a seasonal payer , wouldnt the amount they paid for the whole season cover those two pushes ?? Or do you extra for drifts? Not critisizing how you do things just not familar with how seasonal payers work.

Ok sorry ..on edit i read your WHOLE post and i understand now . yes you can :realmad: at me. i get a lil :eek: every now and then
  12. bgrover

bgrover Member

Dan, I know exactly where your customer is comming from. The whole reason I purchased my plow is because my house is in the far upper corner of a 25 acre field on the side of a hill. Our drive is tree lined and is just over the crest of the hill.

With the couple of snow squalls that came through this week my drive drifted full in places 3 times. So far 3 out of 5 mornings this week I've had to plow the drive open before I could go to work.