1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow drifts & city plow trucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by qualitycut1, Jan 30, 2009.

1. qualitycut1

qualitycut1 Junior Member

fairly new to this business.are we required to deal with snow drifts and the stuff at the edge of the d/w from the city plows or is it something we wait for the customers to call us to go do.
  2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I wait for them to call. It would suck to have to drive around looking / waiting for berms. This seems to work good for me, of course I live in Alaska and people are used to having to deal with the snow. If I am driving by and I see a berm I will push it out for free. If they call me I will charge a nomanal fee.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on how good of service you want to give and if you want annoying customers calling and annoying you.

Personally I clean up the drifts without being called. I know it's hard to know when the plow trucks come by. You cna usually ballpark it based on how busy of a street the house / lot is on. i.e busy streets plowed first, subdivisions could be the as late as the next day in a big storm.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I clean them up and don't bill. Alot easier to do before the cars pack it down into a frozen block.
  5. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

50 of my 70 residentials are in my neighborhood, so its easy for me to know when the plows come by. They are all seasonals so I monitor drifting and city plows regularly for free. I also know which driveways tend to get drifts up to 2 feet deep and which ones don't get any at all.