1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow dragon in use in Buffalo

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 19, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

18 ton an hour, sounds very cost effective.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So if it's doing 18 tons\hour, apparently JAA is adding his hot air to the machine to help it along?
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We have a couple of them, the hourly cost to run is outrages. I posted pics of swimming in them after the blizzard Of 2010.
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Call me a skeptic but I don't see that unit ever melting 175 yards in one hour.
  6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Why is that Roy? Looks like a 1 yard bucket, so it should melt 3 of those a minute. Or did you do the math that 1 cubic foot of snow weighs 15 lbs.
    so a yard weighs 435 lbs. No thats no good either because if it melts 18 tons an hour that would be 82.76 yards. I just cant make any sense of it, but since they say it does it must be true.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

8. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

You know....a couple nights ago I was watching a snow fighter video and was getting fired up to play in the snow again.....then I came back to reality :laughing:
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That would be idiotic if that was the case. What do you think happens when the sun melts the snow?
  11. Mark Oomkes

Cool, but in some of those pics of stacking\pushing snow up the piles, if you guys used a real pusher, you might not need a dozer.

You know, the kind without urethane blocks and you can go faster than 6 MPH without special training.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well it's NY State first off with all their laws and the DEC. If you think about it,why can't the city dump it right into the lake?
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the dump direct started because it added to ice damming, and politicians pass general laws and rules that mess up common sense situations
  14. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

the city snow dump here is in the black river
  15. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Why is it that every time I look at a youtube video, I waste a hour of my day watching other videos - I went from snowplowing, snowplowing wrecks, NYC snowplowing, trains, train wrecks somehow got to a mountain man in a court room to people open carrying trying to get stopped and taping the officers.... taking a nap.
  16. Mark Oomkes

It's called the Youtube vortex.
  17. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

Our city use to dump snow in to the creek, but I was told that the D.E.Q or some goverment agency told the city to stop.
    And I believe they were also told that they had to pike it so that the run off would not run directly in to the creek.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Probably the EPA, since they're the same a-holes that want to fine a guy $75K a day for building a pond on his own property out by you. Glad he's fighting them.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In most/some cities when you open a manhole cover it is for storm-water the sewer is a separate line and your right they would never let that much INI into the sewer system.

Some plowers in Canal Park thought that pushing their snow on to the bay ice was a good idea.
    The DNR and the EPA is making then remove it or a hefty fine.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Haha, Did that really happen? It wasn't us, that's for sure. Doesn't the MPCA have an office right down there? Bad place to pull something like that.