1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Doggs needs and desires!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by western w/lml, Oct 9, 2016.

1. western w/lml

western w/lml Junior Member

Hi everyone. I purchased a newer Snow dogg Vx85 used. The plow has been gone through, and checked out. I am hoping to grab some advice as to what extra parts
    besides hosing, that would be smart to keep on hand to mitigate down time? Any parts that are more susceptible to failure? I'm new to buyers, so please fire away!

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Hopefully you installed it yourself, so you have an idea how it works. Spare solenoid, plow fluid, fittings, hoses. Have a repair manual printed out so if it quits working your not hunting for that.

3. western w/lml

I actually had my local shop install it. Looking to build a relationship with them. I appreciate your feedback however, it is a generic response to a question specifically aimed at the Snowdogg vx. Maybe it's such a thing that I should make sure to bring a solenoid S3a but not for the other 6 as they never have issues, or hey bring turn signal bulbs as they burn out. I'm curious to know what veteran snow dogg owners have had issues with so I can be prepared.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

they all blow hoses & crack/ break off fittings, I would carry a couple of hoses,
    fittings and a gal of fluid.

a "generic responce" is valid foe all plows

BUFF likes this.
  5. western w/lml

Okay thanks! So no outstanding issues that aren't common through all the brands. That's all I wanted to know.:mechanic:

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

About the only thing I've had a somewhat ongoing problem with is one headlight bulb. Changed it three or four times in four years with this plow.

7. western w/lml

High beam bulb? I just replaced it with a hella H1. I did buy two just in case as well!

8. JustJeff

Don't recall. It hasn't happened in the last year or two. Regular low-beam I believe.

9. norb5150

norb5150 Junior Member

Buy an set of the lock pins for the release. Do NOT keep the jack on the plow itself, put it in the bed of truck or in cab. I forget exactly what they are called but the two brass colored arms on the mount pins can bend from to much force while pushing in the levers by foot, and then make it difficult to mount the plow. Get a set of those and keep them pins greased. Hoses and fluids are always good as others have mentioned.

10. JustJeff

Not sure what you're talking about with "the brass colored arms". Do you have a VX or VXF? The mounts may be different. I don't keep the jack attached to the plow when plowing either. I have before without any problems. I just don't like the rattling sound that it makes when it's attached to the plow. Irks the hell out of me.

11. western w/lml

Thanks Norb. That's the sort of things I'm interested in. First thing I did was build a set of dollys to wheel it around my garage. I can wheel it right into place and throw the pin. I'll be sure not to kick it (have done this already....whoops) Thanks for the help!

12. norb5150

norb5150 Junior Member

its
    Its the linkage on the mount pin on all snow dogg plows. If you look at the mount pin ( the lever that you push with your boot, is connected to the part I'm talking about) That part connect to the pin that should be kept heavily greased. On Buyers PDF's for part diagrams, it is part 23a

13. JustJeff

Okay. I was just looking at the parts diagram. And they call it a foot pedal or something like that. But on mine I don't believe it's bronze colored. I'd have to look again, but it's dark out now. I've beaten on my foot pedal with a hammer quite a few times when I first got it and didn't have the truck aligned properly with the plow when trying to mount the plow. Never had a problem with that though. Just learned to use the truck to push the plow forward a little more to straighten the plow out with the mount. Then I'm always able to push the foot pedal easily. Did you mean part #32a?

14. norb5150

norb5150 Junior Member

No its part 23a on all the linkage diagrams. The part is actually called the linkage. It links the foot pedal to the pin. Its looks to be anodized which gives it the brass look. I think mossman had the issue with his when he ran a dogg for the season. I never bent mine (only ran it last season) but I seen videos and posts about them being bent

15. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

There was a technical service bulletin on the pedal linkage. My MD75 was assembled incorrectly which made the linkage bend. I can't seem to find the pdf file I read which had great directions on what to check what to fix if needed.