1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Dogg vibrator help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowzilla, Dec 23, 2012.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Hey guys, Has anybody had trouble removing the vibrator from a salt dogg 1500, 2000? I removed the nuts and the vibrator is stuck to the bolts. The bolts come welded to a flange that is attached to the inside of the hopper. It almost seems as if the bolts were threaded thru the vibrator, then the bolts were welded to the flange? Has anyone experienced the same problem? Thanks in advance.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

corrosion has "welded" the vibrator to the bolts. Tap on the vibrator housing where the bolts go though and see if you can knock it lose and free them.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

you do have it out of the truck and flipped upside down to work on it., you'll be needing leverage and elbow grease . its hard enough lubing the auger zerk. I had to put an extender on mine

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If the vibrator is bad and you are replacing it, just cut it off, quit dinking around. Thumbs Up

5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Yes its off the truck and flipped sideways. Like basher said, there is corrision on those bolts. I did try to pry it off but it seems to be a cast housing and I am afraid of cracking it. It still works fine so I do not want to break it. The reason I am trying to get it off is to change out the bearing with the zerk you spoke of. There is little room to try and get the bearing off so getting the whole auger out is the way to go. I too want to put an extender on it to simplify the greasing process. Thanks for the reply.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

a midget couldnt get his hands in there let alone a sawzall. it definitely needs to be off the truck / upside down and extracated.

while your at it , make sure ALL them auger pan bolts are tightened, they loosen up after each use . may wanna use thread lock

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  7. White Gardens

Is the mounting plate very big where the studs are mounted to?

8. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

No there about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide.

9. White Gardens

If it were me.....

I would grind the mounting plate where you think the studs are attached from the inside until the plate comes free from the studs. Then just push the studs threw so you can get the vibrator out.

At that point you'll have it out so you can get the studs out of the vibrator easier.

When all said and done, get a piece of Stainless steel approx. the same size and drill holes in it to just use standard bolts to re-mount vibrator.

Then, if the vibrator ever needs removed again, just grind the heads of the bolts off the plate.

Just thinking out loud to try and figure out the easiest way. Don't know if this idea could work or not.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012