1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Dogg Plow Connectors

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Ray, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

When I went to hook up my VXF yesterday both the connectors were a PIA. The headlight connector would not stay mated I had to use a tiewrap to keep it together so it wouldn't cycle the headlights. The plow control connector would not go together easy, I eventually got it together. I would have thought a plow that I bought new, and have only used about 6 times since I got it in February 2013 wouldn't give me so many problems with the connectors.
    Anyone else had any issue with the plow connectors?
    I guess I will be bringing it to the dealer to see about a warranty issue on the wiring harnesses.

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, my connections also suck. I was told to use zip ties. First plow in 20 years that I have had to secure the plug ends together to keep it working. Modern technology.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Buyers electronics,switches,and connectors all SUCK!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

My hydraulics connection is almost impossible to get plugged in tightly, and I did notice that the electrical connection will disconnect pretty easily as well. That zip-tie idea might come in handy. We shouldn't have to do that in order to make our connections work, but it is a simple thing to do, so I'll probably do it. Other than that I do love my VXF though.

5. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

Well I guess I'm glad I have alot of tiewraps. I agree we shouldn't have to do that to keep the connectors plugged in. My 3 privous plows all different brands never had any issues with the connectors coming undone.

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Had the same issues with mine this morning. I just bought the plow last week and it was the first time I ever went to hook it up. It took me 3 min to get the lighting plug together to get the plow lights to stay on. My westerns never had this issues. We got hipped again by the stupid weather forecasters in my area of MD for the second time in a week. I waisted a vacation day today pushing some slush and hitting a manhole cover HARD. :mad: Litteraly Broke the plow in today...

7. ppap

ppap Junior Member

Im going on my 4th year with the MD68 and the only thing I really have to complain about are the connectors. If they get the slightest bit of snow or slush, they can be a bear to connect. The manual said to coat the connectors with dielectric grease - made the connectivity problem even worse. Now I spray liberal amounts of CRC electronic contact cleaner before plugging in everything - seems to work fine.

8. Turf Z

Turf Z Senior Member

Can barely get my together or apart sometimes. Guess I got lucky with tight connectors.

9. dukester

dukester Junior Member

Usually after I get my plow on and after some snow and ice covers the connectors it essentially freezes them together in a snow and ice cocoon in front of the grill just a touch above the front bumper and I just leave them as they are if everything is working fine. If I need some extra snow I clean the hood off on to them for some extra to freeze. I leave my plow on as long as possible. If it's to long between plowings I just start the process over next time. It only takes a little snow to thaw and refreeze for it to work. Just park so the front of your truck isn't in the sun to long :) Plus I live where the temps don't get above freezing to often. And No you shouldn't have to do that.

10. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

Well I went to my dealer yesterday and they gave me a new truck side light harness. The old connector has rounded pins and the new one has spring pins and mates a whole lot better (hopefully it will continue).

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here, mine is a few years old now and my connectors are so tight that I have a hard time connecting them in cold weather.

As for the other electronics, never had a glitch knock on wood- and my hydraulic covers have been off the plow since the second time out.

12. Grizzleyadam

Grizzleyadam Junior Member

Use the clear die electric grease commonly found at the big chains such as Home Depot or Lowes. Spread a thin coat across the top of the female connector. Do not get it down into the holes. This will coat the male ends and allow it thinly coat the receivers with no problems hooking up. If you try to jam the grease down the receiver side it will not go back together easily if at all.

13. GabrielFarms

GabrielFarms Junior Member

I fight the connectors on my ex80 every time, have had to keep the zip tied almost since new.