1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Depth

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bolensdriver, Nov 22, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I know this has been posted before, but I'd like updates.

When do you start plowing? I know some guys plow commercial lots if there's just a 1/4 of an inch, and plow driveways when there is 1 or 2 inches and up.

I plow 1/4 of an inch and up. (Via sidewalks) for driveways, I wait for an inch.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

1 in. on two accounts and 2in. on the rest. Can't say I've ever heard of plowing at a 1/4 in.? That's only a dusting. Salt would be the option there.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I do not plow less than 2 inches unless it is by request mainly. Walkways I clear or treat with basically any amount of measurable snow. Tempature plays a roll too whether it is likely to melt or not soon too. It is a fine line because you want to loook like your are saving your clients money when you can (so they want you back next year) and yet still make money at it too.

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Every contract is different. I have a few that start at 2", most of them are 1" and the funeral home I plow must be clean before every service. I have plowed and treated lot 4 times in 1 day with total snowfall less that 2"...That one is a sweet deal :cool: :cool:

5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Commercial accounts are every 2-3"
    Residential accounts are every 3-6"

It depends on the customer. Some residential customers have 4x4 vehicles and don't care if there is snow on the driveway when they leave for work in the morning.

Snow is a common thing around here. People don't worry about it until they can't get the car out of the garage because its 10-15" deep..

6. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

2" for plowing, de-icing is my decision based upon event/situation.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The large commecial and retail customers that I service are at 1 inch and then de-icer. Its a slip and fall concern, not about people getting stuck with their cars.

8. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

A few 1" but mostly 2" trigger. If several inches are forcasted we try not to ever have more than 4" on any lot any any one time. We plow with the storm and begin plowing when 2" are on the ground.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We start plowing at 2 inches no less.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Most of our contracts say we have to get it to bare surface. If you want to plow 1" or salt it thats your choice. It will take more salt if you don't push it. We will push everything form 3/4" and up. Our contracts are bid with everything except loader work included.

11. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

all mine are 2" or more most of them are on a month price so for me it works out ok on 2'' then I don't have to plow until then. But I still would like it to snow I want to use my plows. I just bought a 810 and can't wait to try it.

12. PackItTight

PackItTight Junior Member

3" and up otherwise your wasting your time.

13. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Residential driveways i dont plow till 3 inches or close to it.My commercial lots depending on the temps i will scrape/sand as low as an inch.If its gonna warm up a lot i may hold off and see how fast it melts.

14. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

My driveway at 1/4". Everyone else's at 2". I doubt I could get anyone to pay for less than 2". I have a hard time talking some people into getting there drive plowed at all until they can't get there 4wd in and out.

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a 2 inch trigger for all of my accounts.....Rob