1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Deflectors

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Grampa Plow, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have 3 plows that I would like to put snow deflectors on this year. I'm not really interested in forking out all kinds of money for the commerical ones when I could make them myself with the proper materials. I thought maybe an old converyor belt or something along that line with a piece of flat steel across the top of the plow. Has anyone ever done this...does it work OK? If so, where did you get your belt material? Thanks

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

this has been covered in numerous threads. you may want to do a search.

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Hey GP, thats exactly how most people do that. I too would search around cause youll find ots of pics to guide you along!

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I just did mine with converyor belt and a piece on angle iron, i did a step by step process for every1. The converyor belt is the best for it. The only thing i would change is the amount it hangs over my blade which is 4in. I would say 7-8 inches is the best. Im going to see how mine does in the first storm. If it works like crap....i will make it longer!

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=69203

Good luck!

5. stroker79

Just add water!

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Get your plow out first!

7. stroker79

Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

9. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Did u just cut a converyor belt in 1/2? Where did you get it or the material?

10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I bought mine from MasterHitch in Waukegan, IL. They have the bulk conveyor belt material available.

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I flatten the converyor belt out, then i cut 7 inch long by 7.5! Make sure its a straight cut, if not its going to look like hell! I got the belt from my cousins farm, you can try any type of machinery factory's!

12. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

tractor supply sells conveyor belt material

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Things flowing too harmoniously on PS today? I could see the response if he asked for a sample contract, which plow to use, Ford or Chevy. Whatever, dude...

14. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

A piece of old conveyor belt is how I built mine. I got a piece that was 12 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Cut it to length and then in half (now I have two). I would recommend a new blade in you utility knife and a straight edge. As for the means of mounting it....I drilled (a conveyor bit in your drill helps ALOT!) holes every 9 inches or so and used 3/8 inch bolts with washers and 1/2 inch washers. Start in the middle and work out, take your time, and it'll turn out fine. Mine doesn't have any bubbling at all.

As for where to get the parts... I work at a company that owns 50 or so quarries so that wasn't hard. Same for the drill bit, I just borrowed one. It makes really nice clean cuts.

15. Grampa Plow

from Midwest

Thanks for all of the help and good ideas. I need to make three so I'm hoping each one gets better!

16. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran