1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Deflectors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Thebosssnowplow, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

I signed a road contract for the 2006/2007 plowing season for 18 miles of roadway. I currently run a lot of new boss plows and do not have snow deflectors. We currently do parking lots. Looking at the prices of snow deflectors they are way over priced. I found rubber in 100' rolls for 35$ new, an 8' piece of alumnium 1/2" thick and 2" wide for 11$ and ss bolts for 3$. Each plow will roughly cost about 17$. I want to cut the rubber to length and sandwich it between the blade and the alumnium, drill holes and put the ss bolts. My question is, is 1/4" rubber material thick enough and is 6" wide enough? Im only trying to keep the dust out of the wipers but do not want to loose the throw of the snow on the road. I think with a deflector too big it will keep more snow in front of the blade rather than sling it off to the side. Any input would be great. Thanks
  2. Baker Plowing

Baker Plowing Junior Member

I used 1/4" old conveyor belt sandwiched between Stainless steel 1/4" bars using S.S. bolts. The only thing I would recommend is using a little less than I did. I used 12" width the whole length of the blade and when I get up around 30~40 MPH it bends back slightly. Eventually it will probably break off. It's ridged enough but rubber would be to flexible, especially 1/4". I would recommend using 1/2".
  3. Cnicker

Cnicker Junior Member

Snow deflector

I did the very same thing with rubber. Mine is 10" wide. I have had others tell me that is what they will do next time instead of the factory deflectors. Seems to work well.
  4. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Sounds Good, Any other input?
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have homemade rubber deflectors 3/8" X 8" at least and they still let powder go over the top and cover windsheild. I would suggest a even thicker material. Sometimes there just isnt anything that will work , no matter how slow you try to plow. If the powder is super light and the wind is strong its going over the top even if your going 5mph.