1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow deflectors...what works 4 U

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Jan 1, 2004.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Time to chime up on what works for you on your plow when it comes to that "dredded" deflector. I have tried a few and even altered them....thick rubber / hard plastic / old tires etc. Still have not used or seen one that really does a good job. :realmad:
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

On mine I have a heavy piece of belting from a conveyor belt. It is about 3/8" thick and is very stiff. The way I have it mounted it isn't really made to be a high speed snow deflector but more of a snow piling backstop. Before installing it snow would fall over the back of the blade when I was stacking but now it rolls forward. I have one pile of snow in my yard that is over 12' tall, it makes a good sled hill for the kids. The belting does a good job for me.

sm plow truck 004.jpg
  3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here's mine, paid 99.00 installed from the Boss dealer, seems to work with no problems... it's the hard, I mean very hard rubber type.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  4. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I have the Western Rubber one that comes on the ploy plows
    It works for me
    When stacking snow it's nice that it's flexable

I think the angle that it's mounted is key
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a hard plastic deflector on my snoway. It has a curve in it and works well for stacking. Not too sure how it works for throwing snow, as I don't think I go fast enough to lift the snow that high, but I don't get any snow rolling over the top of the plow unless it is stacked real high.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

we have just gone through this discussion at the village where I work. We have a dodge 3500 dump with a 9' western pro plow. problem this really isn't a plow made to handle miles and miles of roads at higher speeds, but it was what worked at the time. we're waiting for it's replacement ( 03 International 4900), been stuck in Monroe for awhile, we were already supposed to have it. Anyway when I started they had two pieces of conveyor belt held down by steel brackets. Problem was snow still came over top of plow causing snow build-up on grille. I found a steel snow foil (deflector) made by Fisher. It was I believe $300. had to drill some new holes and weld some addt'l supports, but in the two very small plow events (yes two already, remember we are told to put the blades down on the road as soon as it accumulates) I have only had one time the snow came over the deflector and that's because I think it was powerdy. We got ours from CPW in Tinley Park, IL. It seems to be the answer so far.....:nod:
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Is anyone running the poly deflector from Western? If so, how has it held up and is it more effective than the traditional rubber flap?
  8. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

lbilawncare...I have the western poly deflector and I like it. I havent had any problems with it. It also does a real good job of keeping the snow off the truck.
  9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the poly ones can and will break if the plow trips hard and the top of the moldboard hits the pavement, seen it happen a few times, poly is also more apt to break if you are a pile rammer. Rubber is the best bang for the buck and is still flexible.

10. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

I usually dont beat up my own equipment...But if you are a rammer it will break. I use 1 poly deflector and 2 rubber deflectors. I like both. The rubber one though, is the way to go!
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I used 1/2 in. conveyor belt. Works great!:D
  12. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I agree with SnowMatt13, I use the metal Fisher deflector and it works great. It also is great for stacking and doesn't get caught up in the bank like a curved metal foil. FYI If you do install one, torque it down well I had a couple of bolts rattle off while plowing a grass fire road, so I put lock washers on the bolts and they have been fine. - michael

Here is a pic of the deflector on the plow.

ps dcp_2095.jpg
  13. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

I mounted my conveyor belt ( on Fisher) so it hangs over the mold board. Only when snow is light powder and I'm moving fast does a little snow come over the top. I've had three different deflectors over the years, and this setup works best as can be expected.
  14. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I have a western poly deflector on mine. How has it held up? Great. It's been on for 8 years and no problems. Might not be as durable as a rubber flap, but it's plenty strong for me. I've never used a rubber deflector, but mine rolls the snow off very well. Never get any snow on the windshield. Here's proof:

15. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Lots of good ideas....Thanks.
  16. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Conveyor belt here.

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I got one made of old leather belting and flat stock. It came from an old steam tractor. it was the drive belt for implements. Works good too. Deflects snow upward. Nor good at rolling snow but keeps it out of my radiator grill and windshield.