1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow deflector

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by DMR95, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

Anyone have any advice on whether or not i should get a snow deflector? I can't go too much over 5 mph until snow starts blinding me, especially the powder snow. I found a meyer 7.5' molded snow deflector at a local dealership. The guy told me he would sell it to me for $70 (no hardware included) with a 7.5' piece of angle. I could tell it was brand new because it just looks new so i know he wasnt going to try to sell me a used snow deflector. Are these really worth it and if they are, is $70 a good price for a molded one?

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I would go with a rubber one over the molded plastic. From what I have seen the Plastic does not hold up well.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Um I think you answered your owe ?if the snow is blinding you then I think you need a snow foil[sometimes i think my 10 year old has better questions]

4. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

You have a point there... but I never answered my "owe" question about whether or not 70 bucks was a deal for a molded one or not. Did your ten year old teach you how to spell too?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  5. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

If it is a genuine Meyer molded deflector then $70 is a steal compared to todays list price.

I like to recommend the same deflector that I use on the Gledhill municipal plows that I sell. It is 3/8" thick x 14" wide x (cut to fit length) and it hangs straight down.

The negative side of this is that it does not discharge the snow as fast and may seem a little harder to push.

I have also found that if the snow is dry (not wet and heavy) and the wind is blowing in the right direction, it really doesn't matter what type of deflector you have, you will still snow on the windshield.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian
    Dealer

6. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

Okay I'll look into that once we get some snow and I make a little extra money.payup Thanks a lot for the input!

7. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Deflector

I used a 90" piece of angle iron and an 8" wide strip of conveyor belt. Total investment about $40.00, pretty much indestructable. Cold doesn't bother it a bit.

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I got some rubber from an old hay elevator for my deflector. To answer your question yes put a snow deflector on your plow.

9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

that plastic is junk. I need a new one. Original made by meyers cracked

10. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

redneck deflector cheepo

REDNECK deflector,just cut up a used 31x10.50 Mud tire,Just cut use the the tread portion for the deflector,hay a 6 ply steel belted is stronger than polyester belted,and yet it free.Note..this will only fit 90 in wide plow.Use a hacksaw to cut.total cost free $$.Almost in destructable.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

DIDO, hell you could find a piece of 6" rubber matting 7.5ft long and a piece of angle iron and make one for probably 40 bucks or so and that would hold up better than a plastic one any ways. If you make one, make sure the rubber is at least 3/8-1/2 inches thick.

12. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I have a used Molded plastic deflector for a 7.5' blade with mounting strip and bolts $35 + shipping

Jay

508 753 6617

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I say this all the time. Just go to your nearest rock quarry and ask for their old conveyor belt scraps. The will gladly give them to you, hard to get rid of rubber these days. I have mad some nice deflectors that have been in use for years. Usually you can get pieces that are already the right width and nice and straight, you just need to cut to length and bolt on. Best part is its FREE!