1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow deflector

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by herb1001, Oct 13, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

How many of you guys use snow deflectors?

Next question, rubber or ploy?

2. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i made mine from thick rubber and steel flat bars with ss bolts/nuts....works great. cost me about $30 for the rubber, $20 for the steel, $10 for the nuts/bolts, $5 for spray paint ($65)

www.plowrubber.com

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, its rubber and in my opinion gotta have it.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I use rubber, seems to be too easy to break the plastic ones when stacking.

5. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Where do you get the rubber? I've had hard time finding locally.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I go down to the local quarry and get coveyor belt rubber. I usually get it for free, then cut it down to the size I need.

7. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Rubber factory from Fisher for my Xblades. Would not plow with out one driveway or commercial lot essential in my opinion to help keep wind shield from icing up. It's a one time purchase so i just have em installed when plows go on my trucks. Have used snow foil in the past which get twisted like an aluminum can.

8. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

THX, I will make some calls.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

search for Arctic Avenger, their rubber deflector is really heavy and durable. I have been using them for awhile now and won't go without, really saves the blowover.

11. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We use rubber on all our plows. We get it from plowrubber.com like Mike does. We have also purchased rubber cutting edges from them. Everything works great, we just order the size we need then drill it ourselves, we find a wood cutting bit works the best for holes.

12. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Anyone have images on the deflectors instals my spring bolts look like they are in the way.

13. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

14. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Has anyone tried the thermoformed plastic deflectors that PlowRubber sells? Is it pretty flexible, or likely to break?

15. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

When I went to my local Boss dealer I told him I wanted the poly deflector.He told me no problem, but buy 2 while I was there. As with the cold and their non-flexing ability they tend to snap or break. So I went with the no-name Rubber one that they sell and install. They told me it actually holds up better than the factory one, and have never had a return on it. When they put it on I checked it's bendability and it is tough.

16. stainlessman

stainlessman Member

I bought the Boss poly one, my fisher plow I had for 17 yrs has a steel snowfoil, I haven't used the blade yet, I know with my steel snowfoil I could 'pack' the bank pretty good at the end of the driveways and it was solid, I like the curve of the molded foil, if it breaks by spring, I'll fabracate a stainless curved snowfoil myself.

17. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

deflector

it be real nice to piece of used 4 in diameter.(smooth wall not corragated )..heavy type rubber hose and cut it lengthwise and use for deflector..rubber-hose,,,not plastic..now where to find some....$$ FREE ...??

18. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Is the snow deflector worth it? I've been plowing without one and don't find it neccessary. I could see it useful on long open runs though.

19. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I won't plow without one. But then agian 90% plus of my work is long runs as I do mainly commercial and industrial. I do about 5% back drag, and 5% short. With the long runs it is very neccassary, as it really cuts down the blow back. I feel that it blows the snow out more as well instead of alot of rolling, as it makes it move instead of stacking up in front of the blade. But on short runs I could probally go without it. Never know as I have never tried it. I keep an extra Deflector in my truck just in case along with my other essential parts.

20. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

On my Fisher the thermoplastic deflector has held up 2 years so far and we really stack some snow here. No name defector, black thermoplastic. Has more flex than you would think.