1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Deflector Measurement

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sailorman3, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

I would like to install a snow deflector on my 8 foot blade. I've got 8 feet of 1/4 inch rubber that is 10 inches wide. Will 10 inches be to wide and where is the best place to mount it? Should it be mounted on the top of the plow lip, or on the front of the lip? Also will it flip up with the wind as I'm driving. I'm bolting it on with 5/16 stainless bolts, through 1 and 1/2 inch flat bar. Thanks in advance.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

4. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

I was looking at the pictures in both of the last posts and it looks to me like mine may be all right. I cut the rubber so it will be only 6 inches of deflector being used and 1 1/2 inches sandwiched between the flat bar and the front lip of the plow. The rubber is really stiff and will be much more in the cold and doesn't want to bend back now and with it on my plow it is at a negative angle, so it should want to be pushed into the blade rather than up over the blade. I will try it on the road today, just to see what will happen. Worst case is that I will have 8 holes in the plows lip that are not doing anything if I have to remove it.

5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Can you show a pic? I cut my rubber piece at 10" which leaves 8.5" of deflector. The stuff that I used is 3/8 thick. I'm trying to train it to curl down.

6. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

IMG_1439.JPG
    Here is a picture. I installed in and tried in on the highway with no problems. Even if you force it up, with the stiffness of the rubber and where it bends, it would only raise a inch above the top of the plow.

IMG_1439.JPG

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

looks good!

8. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

Does anyone know if aanyone has tried using Rust Check sprayed onto the plow and plow gear to protect it from some of the salt and such that is used on roads. I spray my trailer wheels with it every year and so far it has worked on them.I know the plow is different in the way that it is used but some protection must be better than no protection. The Rust Check that I'm talking about is Rust Check Red. Goes on red and turns clear.

9. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Use Fluid Film instead.

10. sailorman3

sailorman3 Member

Thanks!! I'll do that.