1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow dancin in North Jersey

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mpflood, Feb 14, 2003.

1. mpflood

mpflood Member

Hoping and praying for our 5th billable storm in North Jersey.
    Keep dancin boys. 5 more storms in the next month and a half wwould be sweet.
    Regards,
    Floody
    P.s. dont forget those Valentine cards....

2. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Just heard an updated forecast. Friday into Saturday will be a dusting or so. Sunday into Monday supposed to be about a foot! That's for the NYC metropolitan area.

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey JThompson,
    Where'd you see / hear that forecast? Most sites I have been checking do not list any totals for the Sunday storm, and less than an inch for Saturday. (I hope you're right !)

4. bwamx

bwamx Member

Fill us in on the forcast for Sunday / Monday.
    Nobody is saying how much.
    Even the NWS keeps flip floping on what will happen.
    Only time will tell.
    Bob

5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Go to accuweather for the totals he is refering to!

Good luck on the storm predictions, your going to need it!

Chuck B.

6. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Maybe Monday we'll see some snow up here. Seems from about Trenton south they are getting it. How about you BRL, getting any? Didn't look like it on the radar, and I see both you and landman posted earlier today, so I am guessing none for either of you....

~Chuck

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Flurried for 20 minutes maybe? So much for the 3"-5" predicted a day & a half ago. What an irony. Usually we are on that rain snow line & praying for the cold air to get in here for these types of storms. This time the cold air is coming from a high pressure system that is so strong it pushed the precip to the south instead of allowing it to ride up into this area. Hopefully the second storm will happen, they still are having a real hard time forecasting that one as well. Tricky systems for sure. Good luck to everyone in the Mid Atlantic with this one, and the rest of us further north if it comes up here.

9. Chuck Smith

from NJ

WINTER STORM WATCH FOR SUNDAY EVENING INTO MONDAY - POTENTIAL 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW

UNTIL 5:00PM EST

Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ 1030 AM EST Sat Feb 15 2003

2200 - Lehigh PA - Morris NJ - Northampton PA - Sussex NJ - Warren NJ -

... Winter Storm Watch For Sunday Evening Into Monday - Potential 6 Inches Or More Of Snow...

Although Some Light Snow And Flurries Fell Over Portions Of The Area This Morning... Little Or No Snow Accumulation Occurred. However... This Cannot Be Said For Sunday Night Into Monday.

From Sunday Evening Into Monday... A Major Winter Storm Is Expected To Affect The Region. The Storm Has The Potential To Produce In Excess Of Six Inches Of Snow. Strong Northeast Winds Are Expected To Accompany The Storm... And May Produce Blowing And Drifting Snow. Persons Planning To Travel Anytime From Sunday Night Into Monday Should Monitor This Situation Closely And Keep Updated With The Latest Weather Forecasts.

Stay Tuned To Noaa Weather Radio... Your Local Radio Or Television Stations... Or Your Cable Television Outlet For Further Details Or Updates. Additional Weather Information Can Be Found On The Internet At Www.Nws.Noaa.Gov/Er/Phi In Small Letters.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess we will see, LOL.....

What was that new site Jeff? www.openyourwindowandlook.com??

~Chuck

10. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

WINTER STORM WATCH FOR SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY - POTENTIAL 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW

11. mpflood

mpflood Member

keep your fingers crossed

:drinkup:

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Hey Chuck, don't get your hopes up. We here in the Chicago area saw that same Weather Advisory Thursday and Friday. In my area we got a wopping 1/8".

Chuck B.

13. bwamx

bwamx Member

Well the NWS is saying possible significant snowfall for S New England with snow for a possible 24 hr period.
    Accuweather puts us on the 6" edge but uncertain on track.
    I have been following accuweather but missed it.
    They have been pretty good with their amounts so far this year.

We will have to wait this one out .
    But one way this looks to be a longer strong storm ,
    Get some rest ,and Becareful and have fun.
    Bob
    :D

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My custom weatehr service is saying 5-8" with mix at the end, but that is a big if on the mix. Hard to believe that we havent been above 20 degrees in 4 days yet we might get mix. Anyway they faxed a similar forcast on Thursday, and then recinded on Fri AM. Time will tell.
    Dino

15. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Hey Chuck, I got the same forcast as i live in Northampton county. Haven't seen a flake yet. Hopefully we'll get that snow on monday. I got a bad feeling about it. Keep your fingers crossed!!:waving:

16. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dino,
    The mix thing actually most often happens from levels of air higher than the surface. So while you may have surface temps in the 20's, the mix precip is a result of precip that originated in a level of air that was a higher temp, above the surface layer. Sometimes the cold layers below aren't thick enough for all of the precip to change back to snow, so the result is "mix". I'm close enough to the coast (as I think you are also), that this is often the case in intense coastal storms, periods of sleet or "mix" in the middle of heavy snow storms with temps in the low 20s. Wierd to see for sure. Gary Gray posted early today & his forecast has changed for the better, pushing the track a little further North & West than previously anticipated. This will help in my area & hopefully put more snow into more of the northeast. I'll let you know the final forecast on Tuesday ;)

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Thanks Bill, I was aware of that point, but always happy to have a friendly reminder.
    If Gary's forcast hold true, all you western PA and Ohiop guys should head to the greater DC area, 20" of snow will paralyze that area for a few days.
    Dino

18. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we got 1.5 or 2" in DE today.

and the NWS just bumped the watch to a warning for 6-12" by Sun. Night.

We'll wait and see, but this year the snow keeps coming, the most I've seen in DE since I moved here 6 or so years ago.

It's starting to look and feel like CT again.

19. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Now they're saying we're going to get 8" of our very own...

20. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, we just got updated from a watch to a warning. I like the sound of this forecast.... just hope it holds true.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING INTO MONDAY EVENING
    UNTIL 11:00AM EST
    Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ 452 AM EST Sun Feb 16 2003

1600 - Berks PA - Bucks PA - Chester PA - Hunterdon NJ - Lehigh PA - Mercer NJ - Middlesex NJ - Montgomery PA - Morris NJ - Northampton PA - Somerset NJ - Sussex NJ - Warren NJ -

... The National Weather Service Has Issued A Winter Storm Warning Into Monday Evening...

Snow Over Delmarva Will Spread Slowly North Across The Region Today And Then Become Heavy At Times Tonight And Continue Monday. Before The Snow Tapers Off And Ends Early Monday Night... Very Heavy Accumulations Of 12 To 20 Inches Are Expected.

Strong Northeast Winds Will Also Develop Tonight And Early Monday Which Will Cause Blowing And Drifting Snow And May Cause Near Blizzard Conditions.

Travel Will Be Very Difficult. Postpone Any Travel That Is Not Absolutely Necessary. By Staying Off The Roadways... Highway Crews Are Better Able To Keep Roads Passable So Emergency Vehicles May Still Travel.

Stay Tuned To Noaa Weather Radio Or Your Local Media For The Latest Information On This Major Winter Weather Event.

---------------------------------------------

~Chuck