1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow country landscape architects

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IPLOWSNO, Jan 24, 2011.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

what in the hell are they thinking putting curbs that show the direction of travel,like exit to the right type drives?

then ya got the sliver of sidewalk that seperates the lot from another and it's the same property,

making teller lanes 9'6'', most people can't even drive thru with a car look at the broward columns ? let alone try wedging a vee plow into it.

i think it falls upon you guys to educate these guys, college only gave them book smarts,

have them plow for you all night and they can learn that way i bet ya things would change in a hurry,

if theres not enough room for teller lanes, tell them to make up for it with a smaller bank ,no one has any money to bother going in anymore anyway hahaha.

just saying is all ,rant over:realmad::realmad:
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

how about this? 4' retaining wall around the driveway, the section where you can't see the wall is because there are shrubs in there and I didn't want to rip them out with the machine. All this at the top of a hill. no where to put snow.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

it really is surprising how some of this stuff is designed.

i got a call from a cop during our 1/12-13 storm that dropped about 20" on us. Said that a neighbor of a client complained about us putting snow over the sidewalk. He said he just had to call to do something and that it is an ordinance and he understands that we got alot of snow. I said thank you for letting me know I'll look into.

That drive we do is a triple wide and 3 car lengths long. Sot it hold alot of snow. One side is a mailbox and the other side of the apron is where we typically pile snow. The right side of the driveway has landscaping along it so this time the snow we piled spanned the length of the left side of the drive and the entire apron and about 10' worth of tree lawn down the street.

where else are we to put this stuff???? this neighbor also complained to our client last year that our piles were too tall. even though the street ascends and his house is higher than our clients. Client said the guy is a di*k and just ignore him.
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I hate banks, I have 5 that I do and I hate doing them every time. I have one that I can not even get close to the teller lanes. There not attached to the building, are at some weird angle so we just give them a hand job ,using a shovel, get your mind out of the gutter :).

I hate that bank and if it were not the same company as the other 4 I would drop it.

if we ever got 20"of snow, no one would be able to put snow any were as no one has ever seen that kind of snow here... we would all be in big trouble, including me, 5' is the most I have ever pushed :)
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

It's the islands that get me. I have one lot that is about 2.5 acres. It has 16 islands and each has shrubs and trees. I spend about 3 hours in there with my truck because I have to work around all those stupid little islands.

I do a church down the street with roughly the same sized lot except it has no islands. An hour and a half and I am out of there.

Most of the problems stem from ordinances requiring X amount of the acreage to be landscaped. Those islands make up the required square footage of finished landscaping.
  6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I agree 100% landscaping islands are a pain to deal with and its the stupid city's fault with there ordinances for so many square foot of green space per square foot of blacktop....

most of thetime the landscaping is dead, or its just mulch anyway, its not like its pretty to look at!
  7. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

my favorite thing is when people have huge driveways and at the end they decide to put up a huge stockade fence 2inches off the driveway. Get to the end with no place to put the snow, and the piles on the sides of the drive are already 3 feet high
  8. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

In another life, I worked for A Landscap Architect's Collaborative. They would lay out driveways with "S" curves, plantings all along the drive, mounds, boulders, rail fences, etc. I would ask "where they gonna put the snow"? The answer I always got is "it's not my problem where to put snow, we don't do that". Now that endevor is dissolved and one of the owners picked right up where they left off, and is now doing snow plowing. Ran into him awhile ago, and all he did was complain how much of a pain in the butt is to plow some places because of poorly designed landscapes. I just love 8" vertical granite curbs, radiuses made for a Cooper Mini, and most of all, the dreaded circular driveway that no one uses but they HAVE to have it plowed......never in my life have even seen anyone WALK that part of the property!!!
  9. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I plow four kinds of nasty driveways:
    Ones that were built before the snowplow was invented.
    Ones that kind of have to be the way they are because of the topography.
    Ones that were designed for another method of snow removal besides plowing.

ANNNDDD!!! Ones where an architect was let loose on a bare piece of property and created a nightmare.

The last include, tight corners, s-turns, stonework close to the drive, dead end garages, often with the doors under the eaves, and all sorts of cutesy-poo plantings, garden gnomes, and other yard art. Add over-hanging branches for that hide-away/wilderness look. Add to that A-stone or shur-pak surfaces that never freeze down, and wind up plowed onto the lawn. Throw in mailboxes and garbage can enclosures, strategically placed to block stacking areas at the end of the drive. And then we have (expensive) well heads, septic tank accesses, propane tanks, oil tank fillers, and electric meters. It goes without saying that many of these places are also short on turning and stacking room in general.

I actually told one customer, "If this was my house that **** architect would be right up here with a shovel every time it snowed." I am still plowing for him and it hasn't gotten any easier.