1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Contractor Directory for SIMA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Nov 28, 2007.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

OK, now that the "National & Regional Snow Contractors" thread is dead. I'll pick up with an idea that popped up only late in the discussion. Let's suppose you were a property manager who was given a redeveloped directory of SIMA members to choose a group of vendors to request bids from. What kind of information and criteria would you be looking for to distinguish one company from the next and find a group of vendors who appear to be well suited for their portfolios?

OR, as the contractor, what information would you want listed to distinguish yourself and your specialties from other members?
  2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

With all those responses to the "national/regional contractor" thread, I cannot believe you guys cannot chime in on what may have been the single best idea that came out of it!

You had no problems bashing the equipment age idea, and many others. How come no response to this post?? Nobody has a company that they feel is unique and worth highlighting from their fellow competitor????

I can only hope the lack of replies is due snow... somewhere.... and heading this way.
  3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

closed last thread b4 i could post so im gonna here.I cant believe a customer will hire a national company only to have the work subbed to a regional company who then subs it to a local contractor. I have 1st hand knowledge of this occurring in minneapolis and kansas city i'm sure it happens elsewhere. The ones who get hurt are the sub who doesnt understand that at 55 or 60 an hour he cannot make money. Once he needs a tranny or replaces a truck or takes the time to calculate his costs and realizes he has spent winters working all nite for no true profit. he either quits or goes it on his own so he can make a small profit.and the customer who has no contact or relationship with the person accually performing the service. Meanwhile the natl and regnl co. are collecting there 20-50% of the contract as nothing more than a sales commision. Soon customers will realize this and search out true professional companies who utilize the most current technologies, train the most professional operators, and truly care about the service they provide to there customers.I strive to achive these objectives and have found it has made my co. stand out among the natl "sub pimps" and the lowballers.
  4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

tell em my plows are old and rusty like the owner.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I respectfully submit our profile:rolleyes:

Do not be fooled by the "pretenders to the throne" with all their shiny new inexperienced trucks and equipment. My drivers are not afraid to get their equipment dirty. Our experienced equipment that has proven it is abilities in its use during all the major storms of the last 120 years. Ranger the lead horse for the team that pulls the big road plow knows the route so well I send him out on his own, no driver. We use all natural liquid urea for ice melt, our little units are pulled by four applicators the medium by six, and Ranger's crew with the big plow uses eight. When the others have to return to the yard for more material, we just lead them to water.
    So remember if you want good old fashion service, using reliable proven equipment, forget the fancy new fangled equipment and its contributions to global warming. We do not need wars in the mid east to assure a supply of fuel nor big plants spewing pollution as they produce ethanol. We feed straight corn, no intermediary, so go with the best, home fed horsepower.
    AMISH EQUINE SNOW REMOVAL coming to a lot near you.
  6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Wow basher

Is it with that kind of well-thought response that you ascended to the level of "plowsite addict"? I guess if you repeat yourself like a parrot and don't take the time to think up anything new, you must be able to achieve "addict" in no time flat, eh? Was kinda funny though, I gotta' admit.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

got a cracker?
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Of course it was funny!

The only thing that matters is performance. Dosen't matter what vehicles you run or their age. You could plow with horses if you keep the customer happy. Performance not equipment builds reputation, so the only thing I would list is references.

But then I would not want to be on the list. I turn down work all the time while doing NO advertising (must be my reputation.) No one has ever asked the age or quantity of the equipment. The equipment you run means nothing with-out performance.

Guy rents the lot behind me has 5 trucks. he's been in the business for years and never has more then 2 trucks on the road in any storm. He's always looking for sub work but his crew is undependable, and he's aways running late. Last year he subbed 2 trucks to PECO, but never lined up drivers so he lost the contract, cried about it for weeks.A rich daddy keeps him afloat,but he'd rank high in your rating system, all his equipment is shiny and new. Easy to keep it that way when it never leaves the garage.

You have lots of ideas, why not join SIMA and get active. maybe you can change the things you feel are lacking. Could be they're lacking because of not enough volunteers.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

You have a pm.