1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PatrickDD, Nov 13, 2014.

1. PatrickDD

PatrickDD Junior Member

I started moving snow three years ago in a snow town. I have like thirty business or so. I took the business over from a guy that had been doing it for 25 years or so. He told me everything he did and i made a few changes but just went from there. He never had a contract for any of the customers and either have i. I have always been paid on time and everyone has been very nice to work with. Should i still make them sign a contract? What needs to be in it? Do I have a lawyer write it up? and anything else i am missing??? Please Help???
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is having them sign a contract with you going to do?
    It will not retain them, it will not stop them from firing you.

sooo, what do you what to gain by it?
  3. PatrickDD

PatrickDD Junior Member

Well i guess i was reading some of the other post and i was thinking about people falling in a parking lot i cleaned and taking me for everything i have. That's why. I am not worried about getting paid or them getting rid of me. It's about protecting myself
  4. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I think thats the nicest thing about not having a contract. You don't assume the slip and fall liability. If things are working out for you the way it is...why change it. Keep up the good work!
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No matter how your contract is worded you can't stop them from naming you in a slip fall nor will it stop a slip fall from happening

In the contract you well spell out your service, ie salting, plowing, when it will be performed etc etc, their lawyer will use this against you.

Have you set up your company like using a LLC to separate your assets from your business?
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Not having a contract actually saved me from a 190K slip and fall!
  7. PatrickDD

PatrickDD Junior Member

Thank you. I like that I can keep doing it on a handshake.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Wish we could do that here, but not a chance.
  9. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

as we post , all of our customers are shopping around for the lowest figures , its the american way LOL
  10. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Times are tough for those that are not in the top 1%.