1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Compenstation - Seasonal Layoff

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GreenscapeInc, Sep 6, 2012.

1. GreenscapeInc

GreenscapeInc Junior Member
    from Mass

Hi Folks - we are looking at revamping our compensation program for snow removal. This is a tricky situation as we cover multiple state with different laws and unemployement guidlines. Our primary business is landscape maintenance and construction, but snow has become as larger and larger part of the service line. How do you handle snow pay? Hrly? Seasonal? Standby Pay Plus Hourly? Snow Bonus? Are your guys laid off? Just trying to get some ideas, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Are you referring to employees...or sub contractors?

Do you self perform, or are you farming this work out to others?

BTW ~ Welcome to the site :waving:

3. GreenscapeInc

from Mass

Internal employees, we typically have 12-16 weeks of a snow season. Most if not all are laid off, then come back for snow, which is a difficult process. Looking for options. Lots of the guys are heavy equipment operators.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What have you done in the past? I'll assume it wasn't working for you...

5. GreenscapeInc

from Mass

back in the day when things were small it was all sorts of things, guys around these parts are used to double dipping, Getting laid off and being payed cash on the side. At our size that's not going to work.

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

It's tough to figure that part out, everyone does it different. I think the best way is what Neige does, a salary. However your budget (and mine) may or may not allow for it. In the states we have more per trip, hrly, etc whereas Canada has more seasonal (guaranteed money). Personally we are trying to convert as much as possible to seasonal so we can eventually get to that system. We have a hard time finding quality staff, once we get them on board they tend to stay, but finding them is difficult. My hope is that this will help to find better quality staff.

7. GreenscapeInc

from Mass

Thanks, we also cover a geographic area that spans from Guarantee snow, to maybe you get some. Our contracts are balanced between season, hrly and per inch. I am crunching some numbers on keeping guys on a retainer for the winter. Any additional recommendations are welcomed

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I have a feeling you will need to have a variety of different compensation packages going on.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Where do your guys live that will make a big difference.

10. GreenscapeInc

from Mass

Mostly mass. Some in nh.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about this deal. Maybe talk to a lawyer or accountant. Maybe see if you can setup a company in each state this way guys can get unemployment when the season is done.

12. GreenscapeInc

from Mass

They are currently getting unemployment But lots of smaller companies are paying cash on the side plus unemployment. I am leaning towards keeping them employed during the winter on a limited Hrs basis plus snow. You run a risk on a low snow year but it's legit.