1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow coming over top

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by heman, Jun 19, 2011.

1. heman

heman Member

I'm sure everyone has it but how do you stop the snow fling over the top of snowplow and ending up on your windshield. I plow streets, I have blizzard plows, western plows i have all the deflectors but still tons of snow coming over the top. Anyone have a solid fix. Don't say slow down, I'm plowing at 15 - 20mph I need to keep snow flying but not on windshield.

2. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Use a deflector that is wider then the 8" in that link. If you use a 12" wide belt it will hang a lot lower. If you double up the belting, and put a couple bolts between the 2, they will be really stiff and make it harder for them to be 'overrun' by the snow. Doubling up the belting, and putting a couple bolts between them also keeps it from flopping up when driving down the highway.

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Image. I plow roads too and had the same problem. I went to the gravel pit near me and they had miles of used conveyor belts.They gave them to me. It's like night and day. I can plow at 40 mph if I want.:nod: I just bought some steel at the local hardware store and bolted it to the deflector.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many of the guys around here run SnoFoils (Fisher) and a rubber flap on the front edge of the foil.

6. heman

heman Member

so adding to the original deflector will do the job?

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if the deflector is mounted to point out to the front, it will only work 20%.
    if the deflector is mounted to point down, it will block 99% of the blown snow.

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have a fisher with a fisher snow foil. and I still had snow blowing over it at 15 to 20 mph. I needed to add the rubber to it to stop it. With 12 inches of rubber I never get any snow blown over the top. I just added it last year and can"t believe the difference