1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow coming over plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ATT Tech, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ATT Tech

ATT Tech Junior Member

Ok... So I have the 8'2" VXT with the snow deflector installed, but I still get a ton of spray over the plow when plowing in any angled direction.... Any advice to minimize this?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Slow down? Try and put it in a dog leg. If it's a dry snow ,not a lot you can do.

3. ATT Tech

ATT Tech Junior Member

It's always that fine granular snow... Worse when it's only 2-3" deep.... Traveling under 15MPH.... I've tried different angles but never dog legged.... Just sucks when you have a 5 mile access road and you have to stop every 1000 ft to clean off your wipers.....

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Get a XV2...LOL

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Plow with the wind

You need a wider deflector

6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Did you ever plow without one? I added one this year. Still get some but comparatively, it makes a huge difference

7. ATT Tech

ATT Tech Junior Member

I'm thinking that when the weather breaks I'm going to make a bigger deflector... Right now it is a 10" deflector but I have plenty of mining belt so I think a 14" might be in order....... I've been plowing snow since 96 but this is my first v-plow and it seems worse than any of my straight blades I've had in the past.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My old boss had a 16'' deflector was made from a belt

I have 3 MVP Plus I run no deflector Only notice blow over when I drive in a high wind with a big load in scoop mode Light snow 2-3'' never notice much coming over

9. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

I have the boss kit on my power vxt. I have some really long pushes to make on the roadways I clear and my shield gets hammered with snow no matter what way I got the blade. It's really no better than when I didn't have the deflector kit installed. I literally have to plow at what feels like a crawl to avoid it coming up and over. Some other local guys I know make their own for their plows, they hang about half way down their plows. According to them, theirs work.

10. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher Plows the snow never comes over the top.....Must be a Boss thing...:whistling:

11. HPSInc

HPSInc Member

I'm out now, 15 mph...can't see sh*t. Thanks Obama

12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I must be a slow poke....

I've NEVER plowed anything at 15mph.....

(including any ex girlfriends)

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We plow miles and miles of roads - the deflector is a waste of money IMO to help with plowing roads, parking lots yes but roads no.

It's not uncommon to plow at 20mph - defroster on hi, wipers on high and lean forward and whichever way gets you the view out of a clear spot on the windshield.

14. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Or get the windshild up a lot higher :D. Couldn't resist, but I really can't say squat, I haven't moved any snow with this one yet.........soon:nod:

image.jpg

15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I would hope you are doing AT LEAST 20mph if you are doing roads. :sleeping: I do 20+ routinely in some of my LOTS. I think MoDOT runs about 40-45 when on the highways, or at least that is what I have to slow down to until I get around them between lots. :waving:

16. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow roads . Fisher plow with metal deflector then a ten inch belt hanging from that. Can go as fast as the truck can push it. Before I put the belt on I would get buried at any speed over 15 mph

17. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

These are private roads - you go as fast as you can see. I don't want to say 30mph, I dunno, never look at the speedo. DOT front plows are designed waayy different than our plows, not to mention belly blades.

18. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

The bigger the plow flap the more roll you get on the snow I run a 18" mining belt with a 3" piece of aluminum on top of the mining belt works great.

19. heman

heman Member

make a metal deflector, follow the curve of the blade then make a sharp curve downward. i have found out that the factory deflectors act like dam and won't let the snow roll off the blade, since i switched to making my own 20 mph no problem, plus i use heated wiper and heat strip below were the wipers park. i can plow 30+ hour with out smacking wipers off (unless its colder the 10 out).

make the curve with a piece of wire, then bend the steel to that shape.

20. scottr

scottr Senior Member

How about a photo of that steel foil you made?Thumbs Up