1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Clothes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mo snowboy, Sep 18, 2004.

1. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

Hey everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has successfully dressed for using atv's (for walks) and/or unheated skid steers. The combination of wind and cold seem to be too much for the normal winter gear we use down here in missouri.

In our experience, the drivers are freezing in a couple of hours (or sooner) and it's a battle to keep them warm. We lose a lot of productivity because they need to stop every 45 minutes or so to warm up in a truck or building.

The big problem is that the guys are not moving so they don't generate any body heat.

Any suggestions for clothing (or other options) that will keep my drivers warm and comfy?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

First what are they wearing sweatshirts?
    While its always nice to have a heated truck to plow in its not always possible (walks etc.). Its like any winter activity skiing, snowmobling you have to wear layers and layers of clothes. Sitting around you can still get very cold. You can't leave much skin exposed especially when its below 0 degrees F. I personally would find it hard to plow on an atv for along time because you loose so much mobility and even visibility (if its cold enough) as a result of the bulky clothing, which effects how good a job you can do. When inside the truck i cant stand having any more then a sweatshirt on. I always have plenty of winter clothes with me just in case.

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I like to get lots of layers when workign outside in the cold. I have a pair of flannel lined jeans form cahrrhardt that are awesome, especially double with thermal underwear. The overalls I never liked because there so bulky, and the crotch rise with arm movement, but I'd guess your drives wouldn't have much of that problem. the one piecers are even warmer. Try those disposable heat pakcages for the boots and gloves. I've got these fingerless gloves that convert to mittens that athat have a pouch for the heat packages from Sears, but aren't waterproof. A good windproof/water resistant suit works well, albeit pricey. I fleece ski mask is also great for the wind.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  4. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

Clothing

I was wondering if we have any snow-mobilers out there who could comment. It seems like if you can handle going 45mph in sub zero temps while driving, there might be some tricks to staying warm on an ATV.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

first start with a good synthetic long john then fleece or wool layers. i say stay with the synthetics lighter & dry faster. outer layer i have a nice coat and pants from EMS (summit series expensive but worth every penny) that is wind and water proof that work nice to keep the elements out. good hat and gloves baclavas are nice also keeps wind off neck. i say stay away from anything cotton that includes carhartts i wear them but if i'm going to be getting wet synthetic is the only way to go.

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

There are electric vests and such, for motorcycle touring. They could plug into an outlet installed on your atv, but probably more expensive than a sidewalk guy would want to spend. Expediton weight clothing and handwarmers. Jon-e-handwarmers placed in a chest pocket or at the small of your back, help a little. I think snowmobile gear would be good.

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

"I was wondering if we have any snow-mobilers out there who could comment. It seems like if you can handle going 45mph in sub zero temps while driving"

Only time I go that slow is backing off the trailer.

Just kidding definitely check out some of the snowmobile gear. If they can keep my wife warm at 60 mph (and me at 80-90) then there is no reason your guys should freeze while plowing with an ATV. Look for Dennis Kirk, Shade Tree or Al's Snowmobile Warehouse (all have websites). Newer snowmobile gear has come a long way from what it was 15-20 years ago. I ride with a jacket (not much thicker than a regular mid weight winter jacket, bibs (you want snowmobile bibs NOT ski pants), felt lined boots from LL Bean, good snowmobile mits, and a neck wamer under my helmet. If its reaal cold I throw on a sweatshirt and wool socks. Other than that normal street clothes and rarely long underwear the gear is so good now.

Now some technology that is a big help - electric heated grips. They are also availble for ATV's. They also make electric boot warmers that can run off the vehicles charging system too. I assume (or hope) your ATV guys are wearing helmets? If so heated shields are available and do an incredible job in eliminating fogging.

When looking at Snowmobile jackets/bibs/gloves/boots for your guys look for brands like coldwave, HJC :cool:, Choko and Sno rider (HJC and Coldwave are probably best. Carhardt and others make great stuff for keeping carpenters and construction workers warm but they are moving around a lot more and generating more of their own heat - the same goes for ski clothes (not to mention there emphasis on fashion.

8. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Sure glad I rod a plow truck. I used to go out shoveling and snowblowing with layers and layers. Now its rare I wear any more than sweatpants and a pair of slip on Merrels.they are warm and comfortable.I feel bad for my shoveler, but we have all been there

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Cold weather riding

I ride quads in the dead of winter for the fun of it. Ive been out in -10 without the windchill @ 40 to 50 mph for extended periods. The key is to stay dry and lots of layers. I have found that i wear insulated work boots with 2 pairs of good socks and i will also use the yellow boots over them. I use 2 pairs of gloves, 1 being a lighter liner and a real good pair over them. Long underwear , jeans, tee shirt, 2 or 3 lined sweat shirts and then a good water proof coat over that. I also will wear carhart bibs over my jeans. I don't like to go in to warm up cause if i have any bit of snow on me then it will melt and once i go back out then i will get really cold. This might be a pit much for what your asking for but I works great for me. We go riding every year between xmas and new years for a long weekend, and last year we was out riding and the underside of our fenders got packed with snow. When we finished with our ride for the day we pulled our quads into unheated enclosed trailer for the night. Well in the morn we got up and i tried to pull my quad out of the trailer and i found out that it had become frozen to the floor of the trailer. Not only that, but the snow that was packed under my fender had melted and run into the back side of my wheels into a solid block of ice. I had to pull my wheels off and chip off the ice from around the brake calipers just so i can get her to move again. Man that was one long day, but anyways I live to ride....Rob

10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

For the past 5-6 years we have maintained 40-60 accounts ranging in size from sidewalks to Pizza Hut parking lot and Banks with 2-4 ATV's. They are outfitted with heated handgrips, windshields, air deflector boards mounted on the front rack, and winches to lift the plows. When it is really cold (-20 to -40) I wear thermal underwear, wool pants, and a set of Carhart Extreams Bibs. On the top, thermal underwear, wool shirt, sweatshirt, and Carhart Extreams Coat. A thin thermal facemask inside a snowmobile helmet works well. The warmest boots/packs you can find (rated at -80 to -100). I also buy the $85.00 gortex gloves with the liners. Yes the machines freeze up on occasion. You want to run fuel conditioners so the any water in the gas can't freeze. I have searched the market and what I described above seems to keep me the warmest. We judge how cold it is by how often you have to walk inside to thaw the ice off your eyelashes so you can see again. It sounds insane, but at 3:00 AM and -30, ice will actoully form in your eyelashes and eyebrows if they are exposed to the weather long enough. Usually we run from 3:00 am to about 8:00 am, get the business done, then go in and warm up then run the rest of the day till between 12:00 noon and 3:00 pm. The best thing to keep warm in the cold is to get off the ATV and do some hand shoveling (doorways, narrow walks, away from buildings, etc.)

11. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

I do not were longjohn's or any heavy clothes. Because every time I do I end up getting sick. So I keep the heater cranked in the truck instead.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

you guys that dont wear long johns are tougher than me. mine go on end of november dont come of till april.

13. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

My self I perfer Carharts overalls for plowing.

14. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

MO SNOWBOY,

For the skid steer we use plexi-glass too cover both the side openings and then we hang a piece on the front. It really helps to keep the wind off you.

15. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

check these out! Think about it, The heat from your ATV will be held inside the coat!

atv cocoon

16. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

That cocoon looks neat, but how big a pain will it be to take on & off every time you get in the truck. I prefer to dress in layers starting with thermal underwear, blue jeans, Carhart bibs on the bottom. Thermal underwear, flannel shirt, hooded sweatshirt, Carhart hooded coat for the top side. If conditions are extremely cold I will switch the red lined Carharts for black lined ones. Black lined Carharts are made for the extreme cold temps, for people who have to sit still for extended periods of time. This is just what I wear I am sure the are better suits made just for this type of activity. :waving:

17. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

From the video on the site it looks like it's just a few snaps? Like putting on a coat then just snapping it to your atv. IMO it would be better then having to sit in a truck with multiple layers of clothing on. I worked outside for 10 years here in Chicago and grew to hate having to wear all those lavers, but that's just me.

18. Up North

Up North Senior Member

As a snowmobiler I often have to stop and take off my helmet or unzip the jacket to cool off. In most cases I'm moving around on the snowmobile so much that I tend to get a little warm, I actually sweat a good bit after a long ride. I wear a pair of jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, Ski-Doo jacket, Reima bibs, Reima gloves, Sorel boots, and my helmet.

I would think that if your guys would get a snowmobile jacket, bibs, and gloves, that would take care of getting cold. In Mizzou you may not have too many snowmobile dealers down there so I'd search the internet, Shade Tree is a good place to look.

http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/

Buck

19. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

In the winter when I used to plow on a tractor and a blade, I would wear the carhardt bibs and Jacket in addition to adding a thin rainsuit over so that I didn't get wet while driving around in the great outdoors. Not to mention, you need good boots.

20. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I am a long time snowmobiler and I have spent alot of time plowing on an open cab tractor. The best gear you can wear is the same outfit you would wear snowmobiling (quality snowmobile jacket and bibs). This includes a full faced helmet if it is windy. I have done this. It looks funny, but it is toasty warm. If I'm not wearing a full faced helmet, I wear one of those fur bomber hats, my snowmobiling baclava and ski goggles. Also make sure those toes stay warm, I would wear battery heated socks or use those pocket heaters in my boots. I've had frost bite, and my toes freez really quick. A couple of years ago bought the best pair of boots I have ever owned, they are the Rocky Snow Stalker Extremes. Feet stay warm, and dry. I've even stood fully submerged in water and my feet stay dry. I use them for snowmobiling and hunting. Never get cold toes any more.

Nooooooooooo exposed skin!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004