1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Chief Package---is it just a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

A dealer near by has a 2500 Hemi quad cab w/ the "snow chief" package? What's up? Is it a gimmick, or is it really a great snow plow truck that's built differently than the normal 2500 with plow prep?

Just curious. Either way, the sticker was only $34k. I thought that's a pretty good deal for a heavy duty work truck.
  2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

It's kinda a gimmick..it basically means you get more protective material both on the interior and exterior. Nothing really major is added to the engine or frame.
  3. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

snow cheif has smaller tires, vinel flooring, skidplates,anti-spin rear axle,and clearance lamps
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

and don't forget the "sticker"
  5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

snow chief group

I dont see much differance. I added the "Snow Chief Group" to my 2007 and your right, I noticed this has smaller tires. I do like the clearance lights xysport
    I had them remove the Decal "SNOW CHIEF" on the sides of the pick up.

Extra Ampage also. Much needed.

But my question is, are these tires ok for plowing? I would expect bigger tires or at least more teeth or deeper threads in the "Snow Chief" tires.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Smaller tires effectively lowers the rear ratios
  7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

small tires work fine for snow plowing because they are usually narrow and grip better on icy surfaces. however in the offseason i cant stand them and usually run 33" to 35" tires
  8. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

Got pics? Thats what I'm thinking, Bigger tires when I'm NOT snowplowing.
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

post up the pics

smaller tires should be good for plowing
  10. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

I would hate not having carpet.

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

I love this truck with NO carpet. Every season with the snow, rain slush, what a mess. This I can just wipe clean.
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Vinyl floors are awsome, they look great when you armor-all them. Even when they are 10 years old, they still look good. I ordered my last truck with leather and vinyl floors.
  13. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Member

I agree with JD except the armor-all. I don't need to be slip sliding away while plowing
  14. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I dont amor all them I use a special chem form a detalier buddy of mine and yes all work trucks should have leather seats and vinyl floors last and SMELLS 1000000 time better for 1000000 years longer
  15. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

with the hemi torque to rpm ratios and the torque converter i chose to keep the stock tires.
    they've done a lot of work on the hemi, since my day - we used to have a problem with body panels wrinkeling from all that torque.
  16. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

A month ago I bought a 2008MY ST with the snowchief. Here's the window sticker:

"Snow Chief" Badge
    Clearance Lamps
    Anti-spin Differential Rear Axle
    Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
    750-Ampere Maintenance-Free Battery
    160-Ampere Alternator
    LT245-70R17E BSW On-/Off-Road Tires

The plow prep package has the alternator, battery and skidplate for $190. That leaves $505 for the other stuff which you don't really need except the suregrip rearend (the small all terrain tires are stock I think).

Of course, Grn Mtn pointed out there's the "sticker" which only comes with the package...

17. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

Those stickers look better than the stripes they put on the SNO CHIEFS of the 70's....
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have never seen any Sno-Chief's in the 70's;)

I Kind of liked that green stripe with ether a Sno- Fighter
    or the Sno- commander.

If I could find a set of Sno-Commander stripes cheep I would be tempted to put them on my truck.

It looks like the basic plow-group is a better deal.
    But you want what you want..;)
  19. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I just looked up those stickers, there 32 bucks my cost and I'm a dodge parts guy...............

I WAS going to get a set for my 85 but uh yeah not anymore.
  20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That's for the Sno-chief stickers?

I believe the other stripes would be an after market thing.