1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Nov 20, 2001.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Even through my truck is 4x4 and have all-terrian tires on it, I am thinking about maybe investing in getting some snow chains for tires. It could be useful if there is a really big snowstorm. All of my accounts have a flat driveways, except for one driveway that is 1/2 mile long and steep.

How many of you invested in snow chains? I am sure that it work better than without it, but is it worth investing in it? How many of you were saved by snow chains?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have one set of 4 chained tires on rims in my shop. They will fit all my Fords. All we do is lift the truck and swap the tires. Actually easier and faster than chaining the ones on the truck. I also have a set of chains for the Toyota. I have used the Ford set once in an ice storm on the truck that went out salting. I feel having them on hand is good insurance.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

On Spots work really well too.

Geoff

4. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

tire chains

I too have a set of 4 chained tires, have used them only 1 time, in an ice storm. Like fireman I will change the tires & all rather than take the time to put the chains on. They can be a bear

RIck

Ready to plow

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You're going to piss off quite a few customers come spring if you use chains or studs on driveways.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Yeah but Bill, since I swapped to u edges, the only spark shows I get is when I spin chained tires.
    Dino

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

hey Dino, can a chevy really spin a tire? well i suppose on ice. LOL.
    dan

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Actually with the rear locker it is very hard to spin the 4 rear tires. However that didnt stop me from pulling all those fords out of snow banks last year.
    Dino

9. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Each of our two trucks carries chains for each corner, and my wifes truck has just one pair in it (she has no plow, just a good, aggressive driving style :D)

If you want a set with less risk of marking the asphalt, get the regular kind without the little vee bars. If you are like me and want results after all the trouble of putting them on, get the vee bars. I have pulled 3" diameter stones out of gravel logging roads and sent them flying with the vee-bar chains - use with only a moderate right foot.

Cam-lock tighteners are a little more expensive, but they cut down on the slop and the need to pack a dozen bungie cords.

10. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Are these new cable chains worth a darn or real chains the only way to go?

Bruce

11. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

tire chains

Tire chains are an important tool for your storm aresenal. I would always chain when plowing, it was essential for the hillside drives I did. I would chain the front axle, and if was really bad, then I did the back axle too. Front brakes do 75 - 80% of your braking, so chains help you stop as well as get going too.

I would use the cross bar style, they lasted longer and were less prone to break. I found that repairing a broken link was easiest using vice grips, a brake spoon and a screwdriver than the traditional chain pliers. Chains need to be sized properly for your tires and then snugged up that when you tugon them in the center of your tire treads, there is no excess slack. Speaking of tires, make sure yours are inflated to the high side of your manufacturer's recommendations. A 28 - 32 lb range is too low with the weight of a plow on the front end. I recommend 34 - 36 lbs when plowing. This will stiffen your side walls and help your chains stay in place.

Chains do not damage driveways, overzealous drivers do. So take your time, start off slow, and anticipate your stops.

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

After the big storm last winter I'm keeping cable chains in my truck. They go on real easy, even if you're already stuck and make a big differene if you are working on packed snow. They DO leave marks though, so that may be an issue with some porperty owners. We've got one long, gravel driveway, I'd say close to 1/2 mile with some pretty bad grades. If it's drifted in or looks like it could be ugly I'll push the entrance off enough that I can get out of the road and chain up before I plow it. The 5 minutes spent putting chains on beats possibly having to dig myself out or call for help. Also, wnenever we can arrange it we'll send two trucks to that one. It has a Y part way up so we'll eqch take a side and hopefully we won't BOTH get stuck at the same time. Pushed it back once last winter when I did the pushing with my S and my son stood by with his K model. Was a nice secure feeling to be able to wallow in and not worry about dropping a wheel in the ditch. Left the tow strap shackled to my bumper and when I got hung he would back up to me and snatch me out.