1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow chains questions

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bluejeep, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

I have a 93 wrangler with a snowbear plow, I m going to be plowing residential driveways. I m worried that I wont have traction with my tires. Do snow chains help? Do they damage the driveway? And about how many inches of snow can a wrangler with a snowbear plow push? Thanks for replies!

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I just bought some cable type snow chains from ebay and there pretty nice, however I bought them for if it ever comes up I'm stuck and can't get out even in 4wd. But I definetly wouldn't drive around with them on, and it could f up the peopls driveways. If you have some decent tires and enough ballast, 4wd should give you plenty of traction.

3. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Has anyone used the winterforce tires, they are $53 each for a 225/75/15. But right now i have the 30x9.5/15 tires. But the same size ones would be too much $$ for the snow tires.

4. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

If you really think your tires are not good enough, you got to get good tires for the winter then. It takes money to make money.

5. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Oh, my tires are not good, i know i need new ones. But once i do, if they still wont provide the traction, are snow chains the answer?

Do you use winter tires or some all season ones?

6. Boutallnite

Good winter tires should be just fine. I never had a problem and never really heard of problems like that with driveways. Unless its going to be all ice you should not need chains. I guess it will not hurt to have them with you just incase, but to have them on all the time I think is overkill.

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

chains wont be your problem if it gets heavy or slippery- pushing the snow will though with a wrangler.

I have never used chains, usually the engine will run out of oooomph before you lose traction

get yourself some knobby tires, if you dont want to drive all year with them get a spare set of rims.

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

You must have a weak motor. I know even with my lil s-10 blazer with the 4.3 vortec it will run out of traction way before it will run out of power.

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I wasnt talking my motor, I was talking the motor in the wrangler

10. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

knobby tires? dont think they make them for Jeeps.
    Are Dayton Timberline A/T any good for plowing?

11. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

by knobby I meant something with a aggressive off road style tread pattern, like a BFG all terrain, along those lines

12. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

BFG All Terrains are really not all that good.

Can't use chains in IL, they're illegal.

If your looking for something grippy, check these out:

http://greendiamondtire.com/

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Invest in chains for those heavy wet storms put them on all four wheels plow with the storm

14. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Those are $$$ and dont have my size. i think im going to go with kumho road venture At. Anyone use those?

15. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

illegal? for all IL? Im in Lake county.

16. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  17. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Studded tires are unlawful though.

18. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Studded, yeah. Those Green Diamonds aren't studded though, so you'd be good to go.

Good chances are you won't even need them. Any Wrangler made has 4x4, and if your doing driveways only, you should be just fine.

19. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I have had BFGs on my Cherokee for 11 years and plowed commercially with no problems

20. Boutallnite

Ok people lets get real here. First off the BFG's are good tires and I have been plwoing with them and never had a problem. Second, plowing driveways you are not going to need chains. If you need chains to pow a driveway, something is wrong with your jeep or your plow. At this point just get your gloves out and do it by hand. How big are the driveways you are going to be plowing? And do you have a 4.0L or the 2.5L? With a 4 you should have no problems. Like I said earlier, you will have to spend some money on tires not chains!