1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow chains, possible low cost or free supply

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I had a guy come up last year and cut dead down firewood on my property and in exchange he brought me 6 pairs of used snow/mud chains off of his oilfield service trucks. I was able to make 2 pairs good chains from them. He just came up again yesterday and brought 10 pairs of chains. this time all the chains are the same type, in reasonably good condition. It going to take me a few hours to take the chains apart and make a few good sets. The retail price on the chains is $250 a pair, so I can afford to have a few beers and make some good chains....

I am using these chains on my skid steer...

so the point of this was to let you all know that a source of snow or mud chains might be at the local trucking companies, DOT or wherever, you might be able to get free chains with some life left on them.