1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow chains damaging asphalt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danielleach, Nov 14, 2008.

1. danielleach

danielleach Junior Member

Will be plowing with a Case 721B front-end loader (30,000lbs.) and a Case 590 Backhoe (approx. 20,000), and a Cae 70XT skid (7,000 lbs) on shopping mall parking lots.
    I need extra traction. Will snow chains damage the asphalt?
    The chains on the loader I was told would be 7/16 and 3/8 on the Backhoe.
    Any advise/experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Trust me you will chew up the asphalt..Especially if the wheels start to spin...UGLY....
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

When you spin it will tear up yhe tar. But if you don't spin you will just mark the tar up realy bad.
  4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Im assuming your backhoe is 2 wheel drive. I've used a 2 wheel drive backhoe before with no problems at all, but those times we didnt have more than 6-8 inches of snow. Towards the end of my runs if the box was really loaded the tires would start to break and spin, but never to where i said I needed chains.
    As far as a skid steer goes there are lots of options for snow traction tires now. Do a search in here on them ....i know they have been discussed a few times. Nokian Tyres is also a place to search....as far as your big machines go i'd deal with the slipping...chains for sure aren't the answer and i sure as hell wouldnt want to pay to put tires on those just for snow.
  5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

We run chains on our loaders and skid steers and as long as they dont have ice/snow picks you should be ok.