1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow build up on the LED's?

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by POM Ticks, Dec 29, 2013.

1. POM Ticks

POM Ticks Junior Member
    from Maine

Before I figure out what types of lights I am going to buy for my truck I have a question for the group. I run a F-350 with a flatbed and use LED's all around. The issue I am having with the lights is the snow dust covers the lights on back and over an hour or so there is a good half inch making the lights useless until I wipe them off. Since the LED's don't put out any heat nothing melts off. These back up buddies look awesome but if I spend that money, which isn't an issue, yet they become snow covered and useless due to no heat off the light they don't do me any good. Any thoughts on this issue from the group? Thanks

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I put rain-x windshield wash on all my led lights they stay really good for me. I keep the rain-x in a spray bottle

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ That is what I'd do. ^^^^

4. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Rain-x for sure!!! The rain-x prevents the snow and ice from sticking and the vibration from just driving the truck helps move it along. I use it on my tail lights as I don't have extra lights on the back of my truck right now but I've got some on the way :)

5. SnowGuy73

Or something like snow slick.

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the Rain-X tip, I will be doing that when I install my led flood lights

7. SnowGuy73

Depending on the type of floods you'll be fine without it.

We have led floods on our spreader and they were the only thing not covered in snow when we got 4" of powder the other night. It was about -5 degrees that night too.