1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow boxes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sgreanbean, Dec 15, 2001.

1. sgreanbean

sgreanbean Junior Member

i saw on the smg website that they use alot of snow boxes for the skidloader's. any body have an idea what they cost?

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Do a search on Protech or pushers, you will have lots of reading. They start around $4000.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

They are a lot of money upfront. Plus you need a loader or backhoe to run one. They do make up for that cost with efficiency. Especially in large open areas.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

6 foot skid steer model - $2100
    8 foot skid steer model - $2400
    10 foot skid ster model - $2700
    12 foot skid ster model - $3000

We don't have any 12 foot skid steer models.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

John
    How do the skid steers work? I know a guy who had V-plow for one and he had a lot of difficulty with it. This is one reason I have avoided a pusher box for mine. Easier just to use the mulch bucket if I need to do some stacking.

6. sgreanbean

sgreanbean Junior Member

and , do they mont to a skidlaoder on its conventional mount or does it require forks

7. John Allin

Standard mount is normal, although they make them to fit on buckets like the backhoe models.

We find the skid steers to be very efficient. Much more so (in some instances) than a plow truck, especially in smaller situations. In fact, we are using almost 40 of them out in Salt Lake City.

I know that with the V blade there is some difficulty as we tried one, and discarded it for the pushers. The difference is night and day.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

hmmm. traction is adequate? This is my real concern. I could see using them for walkways, stacking and clearing areas unreachable by a plow truck such as loading docks and ramps in an industrial park I plow. It is mostly flat but lad thing I would want is the operator sliding sideways into something.

9. John Allin

Skid steers are 4WD, and we haven't had a big problem with them breaking traction. Although, we are not using them on steep inclines and large areas. That's was the big iron is for.

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

the only time you break traction with a skid steer is when you stop or try to turn, as long as you just go striaght and keep you momentum they can push a good amount of snow I ran a 8' box on a new holland lx 865, and alotta times it';s much more productive than a truck, their just not good in large areas and youu cannot turn and push at the same time (meaning curved areas) other than that they work great.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That was my concern. I know they are four wheel drive and work well in dirt and sand. My though was trying to stop and maneuver with a pusher box. Not so much getting started but stopping. Snow and asphalt is a slippery combination for the common skid steer tire.