1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nnusskern, Dec 30, 2012.

1. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I was wondering how many of you based your business off of using walk behind snow blowers. I was planning on structuring ny snow removal business by using these and wanted to see if others could share some experiences doing snow removal this way.
    Thanks Nate

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I've got some friends who have been doing snow removal residential only for 10+ years, they use two john deere lawn mowers with snow blowers on the front of them, works great for them.

3. RocketRollinSX

RocketRollinSX Junior Member

I only snowblow. There are many people around here who hate the thought of having someone plow their yard and leave piles. Thats where I come in. I only snowblow which leaves things neat, clean and no piles. Most people are willing to pay a few extra bucks for this.

I run a 1328 Ariens and a Toro Powerclear 621.

4. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Ya alot of my clients have the same opinions on plows. Rocket how many driveways approximately can you do an hour? I have a Ariens 24 inch currently and think I may buy a 30 inch for next season? How do you like toro single stage and how does it perform compared to your Ariens?

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The only blowers I've used really are a craftsman 26 inch, that works well, and the reliability amazes me.
    and a 54 inch blower on a lawn tractor. That works extremely well.

6. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

How do you transport them? I was thinking of getting or making a ramp that is attached to the back of my truck to load and unload?

7. RocketRollinSX

RocketRollinSX Junior Member

I try to do at least 2-3 an hour. Also try to get drives where you can unload once and get maybe 2 done. I currently do 13 drives. This is a side job for me besides my regular job.

Anything under 4" an under I only use my single stage. Anything more I use my 2 stage. But the secret is, get the most of it with the 2 stage, then use the single stage to "clean up" I dont scrape any drives with a shovel. The single stage cleans to the pavement cleaner than you can do it with a shovel. I never thought a single stage would work as well as they do. Well worth the money.

Everything gets transported in the bed of my truck. The single stage I toss in and out by hand. The 2 stage I have aluminum folding ramps. Ramps are stored in the truck toolbox between storms. I can put my 28" and my 21" blowers side by side which leaves me room for my ramps, gas can and shovel behind them.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Trailers. The company I work for I've jumped in the sidewalk crew to let the main guy take a break, they have a half ton truck with a trailer behind it. They just put the big blower on the trailer, and shovels and a single stage in the bed of the truck.

9. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Thanks for the info it has helped me alot and gave me a some confidence in sticking with just blowers. And rocket I have done about 2-3 an hour to by myself so I figure with a helper and having 2 blowers going at once I should be able to get 4-5 done an hour. Beanz did you have any trouble with a trailer in the snow?

10. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Go to Harbor Freight and get an aluminum receiver hitch wheelchair hauler. I think they're like $200 and have a built in ramp.

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

This, or ramps. IMO a trailer is an unnecessary liability, one more thing to slide on icy roads, one more thing to take up space where you park and limit your potential parking spot choices, and one more vehicle to get rusty from road salt. There's a guy who parks a small trailer in front of my house to mow the neighbor's lawn and it's tough to get by on my small street, but if he did that in the winter with windrows on the shoulder it'd block the road. An uncombined truck could blast up my driveway in deep snow or at least park deep enough in it to avoid blocking the road.

12. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Ya I think I will either use ramps or make a ramp that mounts to truck similar to ramp on a utility trailer. I would like to the wheel chair hauler but I will be carrying atleast 2 blowers maybe 3.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

None at all. It was a smaller car trailer, probably 14 or 16 foot dual axle with breaks and all that. Just put the brakes on midly, no more then 35%.

14. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i used to plow with multiple trucks and now just been snowblowing .been very busy and turning customers away. i use john deere snowblowers and ariens . i use the carrier which mounts in the reciever with the ramp mounted to it. plus i have a snowsport plow on front of truck. which doesn't tear up the lawns. customers love the new plow.

15. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

I used to use all walk behind blowers. I have 4 single stage and 1 24" ariens 2 stage. 2 Honda's and 2 Toro's on the single stage. Work pretty good. But hands down, the best piece of equipment I use now for resi snow removal is the 6' plow from mibar I put on my turf tiger last year. I pull them all on a 18' trailer with the brakes WAY down. Got dedicated snow tires for the truck and paddle tires for the mower this year both helped tremendously!

16. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

I surprised at how many of you pull trailers in the snow. I would like to but in my area there is not enough room. So I think I will be limited to what fits in my truck bed. Perrysee why does the snow sport plow not damage lawns?

17. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

snowsport has rubber cutting edge and is perfect for residential accounts ,because no damage to lawns .plus works good for pushing snow at end of drive-way from city plows.

18. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

there is money to be made this way! i have done it with the dingo, and a snowblower attachment.

i specialize in doing residential and driveways and commercial city walks.

#1 call is for city plow in snow pile at the end of thier driveway removal. even the biggest walk behind has a bit@$ of a time going through 2 feet of plow in

always carry a backup ie: another option, be it another blower or a bucket for a small skid loader.