1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowking10, Oct 19, 2010.

1. snowplowking10

snowplowking10 Junior Member

Hello ,

This year I am thinking about trying to get a few snowblowing customers. They would be customers I mow and do lawn care for in the spring , summer , and fall. How should I go about trying to sign them up for snow blowing ? Do any of you come by one time during the strom and one time after to snow blow ?

Last year we got around 12 - 24 inches in one storm . What would be a good snow blower ( single stage ) to go and buy ? I was looking at the Toro Powerclear

2. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I did snow blowing last year. Let me tell you I made money but could have made more. I was used to the small 3-6 inch storms we usually get around here. We ended up getting three 12+ inch storms last year so you do need to come out twice if it is a bigger storm and charge more for that. As far as getting the customers just send out a nice formal letter to your customers saying that you are looking to expand into snow and ice management services some will call. I usually send a letter out with my bills during the October and November billing period to let them kow about my winter services. Best of luck.

3. snowplowking10

Thanks for the reply , Do you think a single stage could handle 12 inches of snow ?

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

dry snow: depends how big the opening is but probalby not. it could do 8" tho!
    wet snow: not a chance

5. snowplowking10

True , So I was thinking 2 times during a storm expecting more than 12 inches.

6. snowplowking10

Anyone else ???

7. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Don't mess with a single-stage IMO. I really like Toro 828. 2-stage w/ nice joystick control for the chute.

8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

my neighbor just bought the sears 48" wide dulley tire 2 stage blower, something like $2100its looks like a monster! only time will tell....

9. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

I have seen the honda snowblowers do some crazy work with wet compacted snow. Had to order it a year in advance though

10. snowplowking10

Would it handle 24 inches of snow ?

11. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

Um Um yes but if you had lots of area there is probably a better machine. The $7000 machine may do it. I know every honda I have owned have been very well built. It is worth a look if your in the market.:drinkup:

12. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I bet it would handle 24" or more but how much time do you want spend blowing snow?
    The more money that you spend, the bigger the machine you can get, the faster the machine will process the snow.. If you dont get allot of snow you have an expensive machine just sitting there.

If funds are tight this year, try renting different units for the winter and make a purchase next year

13. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

I would have to agree the perffect machine is out there for any job. I find the challenge is getting it all to the site with a small truck. These blowers are pretty big and heavy I still need salt and spreaders and to load and unload it all. Nothing easy about it.

tymusic

14. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

BOSS TOY
    Just a thought, watch e-bay, your local auction houses, craigslist and things like that for the unit your looking for, might save a few bucks...

15. snowplowking10

Funds are not tight but not loose , you know ? But who knows what Mother Nature will bring me this year

16. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

17. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

That Walker looks pretty good in the snow. Do you use chains? How much was the snowblower attachement?tymusic

18. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

Yes I have chains for it now. I even got skinny tires (so there is no need to space the tires, and it is still narrower than the blower.)

The blower is Worth 1700+ But I got two of them for 300 bucks each.:drinkup: