1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Albano NJ, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Albano NJ

Albano NJ Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I started up my own landscaping business last year doing lawn maintenance, fertilizing, etc. Now I want to get into the snow this coming winter. However...my truck is strong, but a little older and I don't want to put a plow on it. So my road is getting a good commercial snow blower and do mainly residential properties (driveways, walkways, etc.)
    I already have my lawn accounts asking for a price for snow removal. My question is...how would you determine a fair price? is there a ballpark formula that is used based on snowfall multiplied by rough estimate of square footage? Need help to start giving prices and locking these accounts in. Thanks!!!!!

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Use the search button in the upper middle right. Start reading, you will find a wealth of information.

3. MIPLOWER

MIPLOWER Junior Member

I also do snow removal with snow blowers right now, its gonna be my 2nd year in business. I came up with this little formula, it helps me it might help you. let me know what you think and if its what you were looking for.
    Total sqft x .10 = y divide 2 = per visit price

Total sqft x .10 = y divide 2 = z x 10 = seasonal pricing
    Where 10 is you can put how many events you have where you live.

4. Albano NJ

Albano NJ Junior Member

miplower,
    Thanks for the formula. I'm going to put numbers into the formula just to make sure I'm understanding it completely.

1,000 (sqft) x .10 = 100
    100/2 = 50
    50 x 10 = 500

Then 10 is how many times you visited that property in the winter season, correct?

Now...one more question...how do you judge it based on snowfall amount?

do you charge the same for 5 inches as you charge for 15 inches?

Again...thanks for the help!

5. MIPLOWER

MIPLOWER Junior Member

it depends what type of contract you are using.

Seasonal Contract: you snow blow or plow every time your trigger is met unlimited visits in the season, charge one price for the entire season.

Per-Visit Contract: you snow blow or plow every time your trigger is met. Charge customer for every time you come to their property.

I have a little of both, my seasonal contracts 2" inch Trigger and a limit of 2 visits in a 24 hour period.
    My per-visit contracts 2' Trigger, every time 2" is met I clean and bill customer. this is the best money maker if customers will sign up for it.

let me know if you need anymore help with anything
    MIPLOWER