1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blowing/ First Time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 757Snowman, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

Alright so I'm a newbie at the game. In High School actually. Live in Good ole Norfolk. Home of the Navy's fleet. Doing this mostly to make good cash so I can be my ambitious self and invest in the stock market. I'm thinking about renting a skid steer from a CAT dealer and finding a decently priced snowblower. Thinking about getting a Spartan Equipment or a Erskine snowblower.

Which one is cheaper and better? I'm getting a crew of friends together and subcontracting for a family friend.
    Does 75% me and my friends and 25% the Contractor sound appropriate?
    How much salt should I lay and where to get it? what brand salt spreader should I get?
    Can everything be paid off in one winter and still come out with a profit considering it snows 3-4 times and I hustle my ass doing 30+ contracts?
    How much should I aim to charge local businesses (restaurants, dentist offices, gas stations etc) since it doesn't snow that much compared to where y'all seem to be?

Can I please get as much advice as possible? Please no BS joking.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Yes
    Maybe.
    Do you have a LLC
    Do you have insurance.
    Your friends, do they work for you or they contractors also?

Who going to work when your in school and it's snowing.

Lately , have you asked your mom?
    Becuse without Her signature your not getting that cat or the blower....no joke....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

So basically I'm trying to do this cash only/ get paid with one check from the family friend that has a landscaping business.No LLC. I thought subcontracting you don't need to necessarily have insurance and rather you are covered under who you work for?

In terms of school thats a simple throw out. In Nawfuck as we say, everything shuts down. like what you northerners call a little(2-3 inches) will literally shut the entire 757 down for 2 days.

I can negotiate stuff with the landscaper friend for renting under his business.

4. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

:nono: How old are you? Not much you can do under 18. Also the no insurance isn't a good idea. Honestly, the whole thing isn't a good idea. Lot to invest for someone still in school, and A LOT to risk, not just for you, but for your whole family.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So you want help from legitimate businessmen who pay taxes
    Pay for insurance , workmans comp etc etc so you can lowball them?

And You want to comment tax fraud,

You can go to jail over what you want to do.... No joke.

Or wake up with 4 flat tires .....
    Every time it snows
    No joke.....

Folks in the industry don't take lightly to your kind...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

Im 17.
    at 450 per lot and doing 35 lots and doing that 4 times, thats 63k. give 25% cut to landscaper, thats 47.25k half that for me, looks like I got me a nice stock portfolio.

Side note, if you guys do a lot of investing with your money. I recommend buying a lot of euros. its 1.0769. its going to go up to 1.25 range when the US market goes to the pooper soon...

7. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

I'm at least going to be decent and have the landscaper cut whatever taxes out. Fine if I sound like a cheap crappy person I'll hit the 50-50 mark? This is the south, not mafia run NY. We here are decent people.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

There's just WAY too many questions in there to answer. "Which brand is cheaper, better"? One doesn't necessarily equal the other. How are you going to sub for a family friend and have your own contracts as well? How do you plan on leasing a skidsteer? You're a minor, correct? And if you're a minor, how do you plan on getting insurance? If you've got one skidsteer, what are your "crew of friends" going to be doing? And as snofarmer asked, most importantly what are you going to do when you have school and it's snowing??? You do realize that a blower for a skid will cost you THOUSANDS, right? That 75%-25% stuff doesn't mean crap. If you're subbing, it comes down to whatever your family friend is willing to pay you for your services. Is spreading salt a part of whatever your contract will be? How will you buy it, bagged or bulk? Are you just going to use walk behind, drop spreaders or buy a truck with a Vbox? If it only snows 3-4 times, it will take you YEARS to pay for your equipment, much less make a profit. We couldn't tell you how to price restaurants, dentist's offices, gas stations etc...because we don't know how large they are, if they want seasonal or per push pricing. Bottom line is, you sound ambitious which is good, but you're in way over your head. You're also probably too late in the Season to even think about an undertaking like this. You'd be better off to buy a walk behind snowblower and stick to your neighborhood driveways and such. And I'm not even sure how you'll do that if you're in school while it's snowing. Also, snow removal isn't a "game", it's a business and should be run as professionally as possible.

9. JMHConstruction

Until someone slips...Or your friends get hurt. Last post to you my friend, let me know how the season works out for you.

10. JustJeff

And I'm going to jump all over taking stock/commodity/exchange tips from a 17 year old.

11. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

Like I said, it shuts down over here when it snows. I'd get my crew to be doing the salting and sidewalk cleanup. One of my friends has a truck that I was planning on having him hitch a salt spreader to. I can get salt by the pallet for 550 each. It doesn't start to snow until january or febuary. That has been consistent past 8 years. Like I said it would be avg. 450 per job
    and 35 jobs times 4 snow events, 63k thats enough to pay off equipment.

Walk behind snowblower=slower= less productivity and less profit

12. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

Made 3.5k from 4k trading options. Its a suggestion... I'm considered a prodigy child with stocks with whoever I know. one pip (.0001) for every $100,000 invested equals roughly $10. you can do the math on the profits you can make.

13. JustJeff

You are sadly naïve. 450 per job times how many, 35 different sites? A site that's paying that much is going to take you how long to do?????? Do you even know this? No you don't. And 35 jobs in a skid is going to take you DAYS to finish. People don't want to wait for days to have their snow removed. How are you going to get the skid from one job to another? Your "get rich quick scheme" is a bust. Let it go and find something more realistic.

14. JMHConstruction

Okay I lied, plowsite is slow, so I get to post again. You seem to be pretty good at math. Even if as a sub you somehow get say $300/hr. That means for every "$450" job you will be there 1.5 hours. 1.5 hours per job times 35 jobs has you being our for 52.5 hours every event! Kid, I get you want to make some money, and snow removal is a way to do it, but you have to be realistic here. You're not going to make 63k a year.

15. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

Friend runs one of the biggest farms around here. Has trailer weighted for 20k lbs. it should only take 20-30 mins each lot right? you just push it through and then at the end of the push go through the entire pile of snow with the blower.

If not something of this scale, then should I step it down do doing my neighborhood/ get a snow plow instead?

16. JMHConstruction

Harleyjeff you beat me to it! Damn my slow phone typing! (And slow at doing math in my head :nono:)

17. JMHConstruction

You will never find a lot for 450 bucks that takes 20 minutes...

18. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

I get it. Not Realistic. Ill tone down Jordan Belfort's spirit animal inside of me. Looks like Ill go for either a plow or a walk behind blower in my neighborhood.

19. JustJeff

EVER. I'm done with this thread. The kid doesn't want to listen to reason. Just wants us to support his delusions. First and lastly. I'd be impressed just to see him be able to lease a skid and get insurance for it. Done with this.

20. 757Snowman

757Snowman Junior Member

in terms of snowplows, would it be doable on a 94 land cruiser that has a ARB bumper?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.