1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blowing driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by brucec32, Jul 20, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 Junior Member
    from 8

I am from the deep south and have never seen more than a couple of inches of snow. But I may be moving up to the Chicago area soon and wanted to know a few things about snow there. I don't plan on doing snow removal as a business, prefering to snooze my winters away and rest up for the mowing season.

I will of course, however, have to get the snow out of my own driveway. Are snowblowers what I need? Grasshopper and Walker and other out-front mowers can be equipped with a unit that attaches quickly. Anyone have any comments on if this is the way to go, or will they be sliding around too much? Any comments welcome.

2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Nope. It's still cold outside when you're pushing a snowblower. Hire a PlowSite member to do it for you instead. When we snooze we have dreams of snow regardless of what season it is.

BTW, Welcome to PlowSite. :waving:

(I'm not qualified to comment on mowers, but if you want to know about pushing snow with a backhoe, I can render an informed opinion...)

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Snowblower?

Welcome to "plowsite" Bruce. Well up here in the "Chicago" area you may need a snowblower once in a while, the size of blower would depend on what size drive you have. Digger242j "hit" the nail right on the head, Hirer one us "professional" plowers to do your drive and avoid the hassel of buying a blower, maintaining it and getting up on those "cold" and "windy" mornings. Then moving the car out of the garage, then move all those moving boxes that you have along with the three bicycles; the wagon; lawncart; the grill;the old tires you "couldn't throw out"; and god knows what else so you can get the blower out and then puting the car back so you can get back out to blow that snow off the drive. Then get all the "cold" and "wet" stuff all over you, think of all the extra clothes that you going to need too. But if you still want to go with a blower Toro does make real nice units. What part of the Chicago area are you looking to move to? Maybe I could give you an estimate on clearing your drive so that you could relax over the winter months.
    :rolleyes: John....

4. thartz

thartz Junior Member

brucec32;save your mowers;I bought a used lawn tractor and hooked a plow to the front and equipped it with wheel weights and chains.A lot cheaper than ruining your mower.I almost bet you could find a compact 4x4 tractor (grey market) cheaper than buying the unit for your mower.I was lucky enough to.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hey Bruce32,
    Nice to see you over here, though I sure was confused to see your name here until I read the post ;)

I agree with thartz, and also the other bloodsucking plowsite members, who would rather help you to part ways with your hard earned cash, than enlighten you with the ability to strike back at Mother Nature's fury on your own. payup The last time I looked at the price of a snowblower attachment for a commercial mower I believe it was around 3 grand. Thartz is right, for a lot less you could go with that suggestion, or for a lot less you can get a great stand alone snowblower. For that amount of money you could also get a plow that would probably work with the truck you'll already have for the green side of the biz, and then avoid the nasty elements of Ole Man Winter, while having the fun that is why we are crazy enough to do this stuff in the first place. If you were going to consider the white side of the biz and ended up with some nice commercial work with miles of sidewalks, then I'd say go for the attachment for the already owned mowers. However, lest you get the bug and feel you want to take a chunk of biz away from my Plowsite Brethren, I send you here to learn what awaits you up here in the great white North in winter:
    Wisconson Winter Wonderland

Well it's with great sadness that the link to that great story is no longer available because Grandma can't afford to keep her site on the Net after its 10 year existence. Anyway, those of you who have been here a while & read this might remember the link I always post in the beginning of the seasons to get us ready. Maybe somebody knows another place it is posted on the net?? Reading that one would surely convince Bruce to hire a fellow Plowsiter, and retain his sanity :D

Good luck with the new home if you do move.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Google is Great!!

Found it elsewhere:
    http://www.thefunnypage.com/snow/

There's a pop up ad there. Grrandma's site was better because she had a nice snowing back ground & it played the song Walking In A Winter Wonderland along with the story. But you can still get the idea here LOL

:eek: :realmad: :dizzy: :jester: