1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blowing drives with no contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elegantlawns, Dec 23, 2012.

1. elegantlawns

elegantlawns Junior Member
    from Mi

so this winter iam going to be snow blowing driveways and walkways only residential with a 21'' lawnboy snow blower. iam going to type up a paper basically stating anything over 4'' expect price increase and if anything is damaged I will pay for it and they will have a $35.00 late fee charge if bill isn't payed within 7 days etc. iam not going to have them sign it though is the thing, I cant afford a attorney at the moment to over see the agreement and don't want to sign a binding contract without it being overseen. my business just isn't big enough yet to do a binding contract. I have no insurance at the moment but will be getting in the spring I figure with just shovels and blowers I shouldn't be able to do to much damage and if I were to damage something I would pay for it outta my pocket. I did fill out a dba packet. iam new to the business portion so bare with me. any other input appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a plan to me. The worst that could happen is you throw a rock though a window or someone falls and cracks their head open and you get the doctor bills.

3. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

I suggest you get some insurance and a contract together. If some one slips and falls or the roof caves in on the house do to to much snow on it then you could be on the hook for it.

4. elegantlawns

from Mi

always look forward to your answer grandview lol cruel but true. thanks. I will be doing everything my self I have no employees so no doctor bills as far as the rock thru the window thing it is possible but knock on wood is a rare event. if it happens I would pay outta pocket

5. elegantlawns

from Mi

I have no employees Ans I wont be on the roof or throwing snow on the roof. thanks.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

What makes your service better than hiring the neighbours kid for chocolate bar money...?

7. elegantlawns

from Mi

iam offering salt and my residentials will be completed before 6am most of the time depending on storm also reliability and keeping up with the snowfall. what's different from a neighborhood kid and a proffesional company?

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Insurance,overhead,price,motivation,recognition,profit,location,restitution,availability, flexibility, and sense of commonality to start.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Insurance, Taxes, Incorporation, Reliability, Sue-ability.

Emphasis on the Sue-ability

You miss something and someone falls, they sue.

The neighbor kid misses something and someone gets hurt, Well at least he tried.

Get it?

10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

You said it! Im all for building your company but there are things you NEED to have in any type of snow removal opperation, and the list above is all of them.

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What if you clear the snow for the homeowner and then they slip and fall and crack their head and they send you the doctor bill? That is what I believe he was talking about, but I may be wrong? Your liability takes into effect the moment you put the shovel to the ground. Or better yet a pedestrian is walking down the sidewalk you cleared and slips and falls and sues the homeowner and they then sue you because you sold them on your quality service which they have proof of you doing since they will have an invoice with your name on it and written checks to you for payment of said service. No matter what it will come back to you since a lawyer will dig to find the most liable person in any event. You may want to think about no insurance again on this one. Not trying to stop you from starting something up but insurance is a lot cheaper then a lawsuit!

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. All other things are good too.

13. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

It doesn't matter if you are responsible for clearing the roof. I recently heard a store of a home owners insurance company sueing the guy that plows his driveway because the roof caved in. The guy didn't have it in his contract that he wasn't liable for clearing the roof and lost in court. Something you should think about before your business adventure.

14. MR. Elite

MR. Elite Senior Member
    from E Town

LOL Daum GV, dont scare the man.. haha But U do have a valid reason.. ANYTHING can happen! I have always kept that in mind thru-out all my years of diff. businesses.
    OP, In reality as long as U do things by the book and always keep safety in mind nothing out of the ordinary should really go array to badly.. But I would suggest some type of an insurance coverage jus to b on the safe side. This day in age U wouldnt believe how many people out there get a hair up there ass n c a window of opp. to make themselves some free money on some1!!

15. Simply Mowing

Simply Mowing Junior Member

We do a snowblower only service. Insurance is really cheap when you dont have a plow. Like $100 for the whole season. Look into it. If you do it right you can make more per man hour than with a plow, without the overhead. Make sure you have a backup plan for large snow events and equipment failures. A torn pull cord on a snowblower and its out of commision. We started out with 11 blowers for 6 guys for this last storm and needed every one of them.

Edit: also, why wouldn't you get a contract signed? You don't need an attorney, I copied one from this site, do a search.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012