1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowing Drive Ways For Money

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by STONE SCAPES, Nov 17, 2006.

1. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES Junior Member

IF YOU DON'T ASK YOU WONT KNOW! I'M LOOKING INTO SNOW REMOVAL THIS WINTER. THE PLAN IS USE TWO SNOW BLOWERS AND A SHOVEL MAN. I'M ASKING FOR SOME HELP WITH PRICING. PLOW GUYS CHARGE PER PUSH. I GUESS I WOULD CHARGE PER PASS. :confused:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Pricing with a snowblower vs plow was discussed recently. I think unless you are in a niche market, the price the plow guy gets would really dictate what you charge. Why would a homeowner pay more for a snowblowers or why would you charge less? The same area is getting cleared - the homeowner cares less whether it's by plow or snowblower.

3. STONE SCAPES

Thanks. How Should I Charge For Walks And Steps.

4. starc

starc Senior Member

If your talking average 1 or 2 card driveways, where I come from you'd be looking at about $25 per which may even include the steps and walks. That would not include corner lot properties which may have much longer city walks....

5. Mick

from Maine

However you want, but this is what I would do: Base my charge for plowing/snowblowing on an hourly rate, then figure how long it will take to do that sidewalk or steps and apply that rate. This may seem unrealistic to some people, but you want to consider that if you weren't shoveling that walk, you could be making money by plowing/snowblowing something else with that time. Another way would be to hire guys to shovel while you are doing the rest, pay them accordingly (meaning a lot less) and charge it back to the customer with a profit markup.

6. starc

starc Senior Member

The problem with doing anything by the hour...if you want to make any money you'll be working all day...

7. Mick

from Maine

No, I don't charge the customer hourly. But I do figure how long it is likely to take me and tell the customer "That will cost $xxx".

I seem to be getting tripped up in this today - people thinking I'm advocating working by the hour. I'm not. I'm saying charge xxx for the job, but use the time it will take in figuring how much xxx is. Then, as you get faster, you will be making more per hour/day/season etc.

8. starc

starc Senior Member

That's more like it...

9. STONE SCAPES

THIS IS GREAT GUYS! WHAT ABOUT CHARGING FOR SALTING. payup

10. Mick

from Maine

Yes, I would recommend charging for salting;) .

Ok, I'm kind of a smart aleck sometimes. What equipment do you have and will you be using bagged or bulk?

I just took some night time cold medication and am heading for bed. When you answer this, maybe someone else will help you out.:waving:

11. STONE SCAPES

most likely bagged or 5 gall bucket slating with spreader

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  12. Mick

from Maine

Ok, then twice or three times your cost per bag. I buy salt by the skid (2400 lb of 80 lb bags) so my pricing is different, but if you're buying 50 pound bags, say ten at a time, I'd say 2x, but some guys charge 3x.

13. STONE SCAPES

MICK THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP:waving:

14. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Thats good cash if you can get the work.

When I was 18...long time ago...lol. I had about 20 I did with machines and would make like 500 each event.

Lot of work but I was a young man.

To this day I get out and complete the job with a blower shovel and broom as needed.

Good Luck!

Unless you're from my area then I hope you slip and fall...lol

15. Mick

from Maine

You hope anyone outside the Ann Arbor area slips and falls? Why would you want anyone to slip and fall?

16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

LOL,maybe its his grand sceme to take over all of North America's snow removal services one state at a time:nod: ;)

17. mark m

mark m Junior Member

not traverse city i hope:cry:

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Grammar, spelling and punctuation is a thing of the past. Not that I was strong in English. LOL

19. Mick

from Maine

Oh, ok. So he's hoping anyone in his area slips and falls? I guess that would be one way to gain market share.

20. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

No...if hes selling in my route i hope he does.

Its a joke Mick.

Go to the coat check, I think you left your sense of humour in your coat pocket dude.

lol