1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowing at 2:00AM ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRENTMAN, Dec 4, 2009.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

I used the search a little bit, found nothing on this, so I'll throw it up here.

Who fires up the loud snow blowers in the middle of the night? Right outside of homes on the quiet streets????

I've got Resi walkways to do, and hopefully a couple small commercials that have pretty long sidewalks, and I cant imagine firing up my loud a$$ snow blower in the middle of the night. Daytime is no big deal.

What do you guys do? Who's got some input on this?
  2. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Let em rip.....
  3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

We don't start any appartment/residential stuff till 6:30/7 at the earliest. Makes for a pain but no compaints that way about noise. Usually start commercial at a decent time so it leads us up to the residential stuff on time.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

Ever get any noise complaints?

BRENTMAN Senior Member

90% of my Resi's gotta be cleared by 7-730am, so I'll definitely be working in the middle of the night. I'll hear from a small commercial tomorrow whos walks are all right on the corner of a quiet side street with homes right there.
  6. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

We let them rip also. Never no complaints in over 8 years! Well take that back I guess- we had one but it was to be expected with this customer. Glad to say I dont service her anymore.
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You gotta use your head on this one. People don't want you outside their home at 2:30am running blowers. If you promised resi's done by 7-7:30am your asking for trouble. You might get away with it, but don't be suprised if someone makes a fuss about it, and I wouldn't blame them.
  8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't matter what time, we use the blowers.
  9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Commercial contracts = Let 'em rip!

Residentials = use a shovel.

Apartments = Wait til 6am, contacts allow plenty of time.

We've had the cops show up on multiple occasions and tell us to stop running blowers, we have a couple accounts rather close to apartment buildings. Our route books have the city ordinances in them, so when the cops show up, we show them the ordinance and keep working. Most cities allow 24 hours on commercial properties, regardless of the time of day.
  10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would use a shovel untill about 530 or so, after that i would let them rip,most people get up for work at 6 and are out the dooor at 7 in a storm. but then its expected to have blows running in the widdle of the nigt during a storm. but you also have to have respect to.
  11. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I come when I come...Otherwise can't guarantee what time you'll get to work...END OF STORY

12. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

This is emergency service, you do what you have to do. The cops have never shut us down in the middle of the night!
  13. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Your own discretion is the key here. If I promise a residential customer that his property will be completely clear by 6 or 6:30 a.m. I also tell them that there will be a certain level of noise that will have to be tolerated with this (plow,truck,blower if needed). Most residentials I get the drive opened up for them to go to work then worry about walks/steps at a more resaonable hour or if need be shovel instead of blow. All depends.
  14. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

idk much about snowblowing but i have a couple commercial lots that are surrounded by homes and i plow that with my old '74 Trojan, with the loud Detroit Deisel motors in them, so they scream. I fire it up and use it constantly 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. whenever it snows. the neighbors are all accustomed to it
  16. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

snow comes down whenever it wants to,its an act of nature.i think MOST people understand noise issues at any times.i say if you got a heavy work load fire up the blower, but if you have to shovel because of noise issues, raise the price
  17. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

i do strictly residentials, and in my contract it states " due to the type of equipment being used, no snow removal will take place between 11pm and 5am"
  18. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We do what we have to regardless of the noise created. If there are alot of sidewalks we just fire up the blower regardless of what time it is. Never had a complaint about it yet!
  19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you shouldnt either. people that live in snow regions should be accustomed to the early noise by now
  20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We had a set of condo's that when you talked at the top you could hear the echo half way down. I had this same question for them, they said do what you have to do. I took that as fire em' up and get the snow gone...i guess, we dont do them any more some other company can make all the noise now. Oh wait he's one of them there, low balling company's I doubt he has a snow blower,lol I crack myself up!
    Seriously, if you have any doubts just ask them if they are opposed to all the noise the blowers will make.