1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blowers!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, Jan 30, 2009.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

need some quick help. looks like were gonna get hit hard for the third time in a row at the start of the week and I need to buy a blower. I want something that will see normal use just doing walkways but could handle a small drive if needed. I would like for it to be able to get in and out of a truck by two guys. Any suggestions?
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

9hp, 28" - we use it to do parking lots and we have been able to lift it on and off of a truck with two guys. We have a craftsman but I wouldn't suggest you get one... an ariens or honda would be better.
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Depends upon how deep and heavy your snows are. I use a 16" toro 98cc and I can zing through snow easily. Their single stages are just fine, easy in/out of a truck. The larger two stages I find are slower and much harder to truck around. But, then again if you in an area which dumps deep snow in quick fashion then look for a two stage.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I was originally going to buy a snow blower to do local driveways in the neighborhood. After kicking around the idea, I decided to go with a plow on my ATV. I got to see first hand what wet heavy snow/slush does when trying to run it through a snow blower. The only thing I can think of that describes what it looked like is, a toilet overflowing that is blocked up. LOL The stuff was just oozing out of the dis-charge shoot. The guy had to shut the blower off and dig all of it out. Mean while, I'm tossing the snow off to my right as I'm riding by and gave him a thumbs up. LOL I did 2 driveways that are more then twice the size of his and was heading back up the road to do another while he was still digging the crap out of the blower. :D I would look into a small 500cc atv and 48-54" blade. It will do a parking lot WAY faster and easier then a blower.

Note: the blower was a Ariens 2 stage, very similar to the one I was looking at buying before I went with a plow.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. born2farm

I already have a quad and blade but it wont do some of the sidewlaks I need dont plus it gets to the point where i run out of places to put snow.

We dont get a whole lot of snow average 4-6in storms maybe 5-6 times a year. But we got a 8in storm last week....13in storm last two days and calling for 1-2ft this coming week.
  6. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

one question.

When the two of you pull the blower out of the truck,...
    what's the other guy going to do while you're blowing?

I see you have aN ATV, COOL!

single stage will get your walks done along with a small drive.

2 stage will get all that and barge through the crust at the end of the drive. You know, it's that hard packed snow that was left over from the city plow truck.

If it were me, I would get 2 single stage blowers.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

yeah, better get a blower. I'd look more at the 2 stage units in the 28" range.

I wasn't knocking snow blowers in my post. I still would like to have one too but I just can't see the need for it around here. If I was in a area that got a ton of snow each year then I would definitely have a blower too.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever blower you decide to buy...make sure it's NOT a Troy-Bilt storm blower from Lowes, or should I say Blowes...

I spent 1299 on a 30" 2 stage. Put it to work commercially and it failed numerous times and very quickly...they would not replace or refund on warranty..So now Im stuck with this horrible unit..It's like brand new too. My guy went through about 8 shear pins a night...and the cutting edge would get eaten up by the auger.
  9. born2farm

he would be running the blower while I run the quad/truck.
  10. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I use the same one, It's nice if your in tight spaces too, easier to keep from hitting cars and windows as it does not throw the snow 20 + feet in the air

Oh yea and the best part it only weighs 38 pounds.
  11. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Right now it's going to be more about what you can get. Blowers are in short supply.
    Simplicity, honda and high end ariens (dealer not home depot) are all good choices.
    I'm sure you know, "you get what you pay for". No homeowner mtd types.
    They just don't hold up to heavy running.
    Older used good stuff maybe a choice also.
    Good luck on short notice, maybe hold off until fall and get what you
    really want when the selection is better.

12. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I use 1 toro Powerlite, and a Toro CCR2400, picked both up used a few years ago and both run incredibly well and have moved gobs of snow. the powerlite goes right in the back door of the Trooper so I can leave the spreader on and when driving around to do a few sidewalks.
  13. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

Took a gamble with a troy-bilt; 28" 11.5hp, heated handles and headlights, dual stage all the way, put 15 or so hours on it in three days and it's holding up excellently, we lift in/out of truck and it's great. Will run u about 1000
  14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

My views on snowblowers: I run Ariens 1332 pros and 933 cub cadets.IMO after 2 years of use and about about 700-800 uses the cub cadet wins hands down.The Ariens is constantly throwing the drive belt since it is TOO flimsy.If you shift it TOO fast the shift mechanism comes apart since it is TOO flimsy.On the other hand the big cub cadet (MTD) gets the S@#$ kicked out of it and asks for more.The steering clutches are great along with the drive system.I wish it had the Ariens chute though.
  15. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I have a single stage Murray, 20" Easily handled in/out of truck by one guy. With a directional chute and adjustable chute hood, I can throw snow far or close, low or high. My only complaint is the plastic housing. I keep repairing/patching it together with screws and metal banding straps. Looks like Frankenstein. One day it's going to implode and throw itself in the trash. My next blower will be a Honda, single stage. Waiting till spring to purchase.
  16. blakerugg

blakerugg Senior Member

thats weird, i bought a 28in from the guy ive been going to for 7 years, and im not exactly commercial, i plow my own commercial lot. I beat the crap out of it and no troubles whatsoever...i end up using it for like an hour 5-6 times per storm for my house and buisness and my close friends/family.
  17. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

I would go with a toro, like a ccr-2000. I have something a little smaller then that and I haven't had a problem with it all season. Does all sorts of drives real well, and I can load it by myself its so light.