1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA snoman, Feb 15, 2005.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I didn't really see anything that I thought fit the thread any better so here goes.

I was looking for some suggestions on a little snowblower for sidewalks, etc. You know, the 3-4 hp "21 kind that you can lift out of your truck without ramps and r usually 2 stroke motors. I found a MTD at Walmart on sale for $210. Is this good? What does a toro or snapper go for in this style? Any input is welcome as I am looking to buy one on clearance as winter ends.

THanks

2. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I got one like that at wal-mart works good I keep it in the back of my blazer. Easy to pick up and put in. I got it 2 years ago did notheing to it,still runs good.

3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

We got a Husky, made by MTD. Works great!!!!!!!!!

4. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

We use the toro 3650. It weights about 75- 85 lb. One person can lift in and out of the truck.Has an adjustable chute, and throws snow about 35 ft. Its a nice snow blower were happy with it,we have 2.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have the toro 3650 also. it was a little pricey, about 570 or so but well worth it. it can go through wet heavy snow and blows it pretty far.

6. bingermann

bingermann Member

I use a Toro CCR 2000 which you can find used for a couple of hundred bucks. Mine is 17 years old and is still running like a champ.

7. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Any comments on a Murray? I found one of them at Menards that I like better than the MTD. I like it better because it has the crank to turn auger instead of turning it with your hand. It feels like I am going to break the one without crank. doesn't feel very durable, just my 2 cents though.

8. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

In my book toro and honda are the only way to go.

9. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

We have two of the ariens 7hp (they make a 5 & 7 HP) and they seem indestructable. One guy can unload & load it off the truck. You can't bog them down, I've used them in heavy snow well over the intake on the front.

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Toro CCR-Powerlite 35# 3.5 hp and 18" wide $389

11. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

TORO , one reason they start up easy every time. I have a 1989 ccr 2000 runs like a champ

12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

toro 3650...same as the others said about it.

13. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I picked up a new Toro 2650 at the end of last season and used it this year for two 8 + inch snow falls without any problems. It ran me $450.00. No problems with throwing the wet heavy snow. It's around 65 - 70 pounds and easy for one guy to handle the loading/unloading. You might want to consider the Honda, even though it's a little more in price, because it's a 4 cycle and you don't have to worry about someone forgetting to mix the gas and oil together.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

14. Dan Vane

Dan Vane Junior Member

We have 6 CCR2000's and 2 3650's. They range from 12yrs to 2yrs old. Never had any big problems. I wouldn't buy anything else. They are a little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Stick with the Toro. Spend the money you won't regret it. They start when its below zero, throw wet heavy snow, and if you do have a problem you bought it at a dealer so they HAVE parts and can fix it. I have a 2450 and its been awesome. I use a step to help get it in and out of the truck, here is a picture of it.
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8669

Just remember, if it is below freezing out and after you have turned off the machine, pull the starter cord 2-3 times. If you don't the snow dust melts and freezes and you won't be able to start your blower till it thaws. Oh and the plastic shoot hasn't broken and it gets banged around.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005