1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cricker001, Jun 28, 2010.

1. cricker001

cricker001 Junior Member

what are the best snow blowers. single stage that wont freeze up on you like the new toros with the blue plastic shoot adjustment. and will hold up to in and out of the truck good wheels because i have seen most guys take them out of the bed and bam on the ground. and there goes the axle and plastic wheel cracks or breaks off i have been plowing for a long time but as a sub. i take pride in my equipment and others equipment so that they dont have to fix stuff every time we go out. but the toro's we use are 4 new and 4 old the old ones alway's start and work. but they require more pushing power where the new one's pull themselves pretty good. but are alway's having an issue. i just would like to know a good blower that can sit in the back of my truck while i do my big commercial lot's and will nowt be frozen to the point that i cant use them. i dont have alot of money but i want to go out on my own this year and could use some advice if anyone has any. i dont ask for help very often. but i don't want to waste money that is food for my family. i have been an pro. mechanic for 19 years and know alot about cars and truck and anything with an engine. so if anyone can help i will be more than willing to help them. thank you for taking the time to read this long thing. chris
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

If your pups are difficult to scrape and move snow that tells me the paddles and scraper need to be replaced on all four units - they are wear parts that are easily changed.

short of carrying a small propane salamander and small tank in the back with a very small generator you dont have a lot of options to keep them free of ice. I use a kerosene unit for everything, snow pup blowers, tractor, truck, breaking the thick ice that builds up on vehicles and walkways etc.

Running the salamander to warm up the pups works wonders for the two cycle units and it also gets rid of any build up at the end of a job-which eliminates banging them around which is a foolish thing to do period-these things were ment to go in garage or inside a warm entry way to be out of the weather. The slider is an easy way to control the chute baffles and you can by replacement parts for them but the pups should not be dropped on the ground etc.

any hot engine will attract moisture and that is simple physics and heat transfer and if you dry the blowers out at the end of a job or before starting one with a salamader you will have no problems with them.

Reddy heater makes a very nice kerosen salamander, I still have my original 110,000 BTU kerosene unit and other than an igniter and a power cord it has been flaweless for 16 years.

A small propane unit eliminates the belly tank issue but you need power-110 volts and the small coleman power mate generators are excellent and start right up when you turn the fuel valve to the open position.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I have the Toro3650 (i think) Powercurve. 4yrs. old. This is by far the best piece of equipment for the $ spent I have ever purchased. I can go out in 18 below zero, truck outside, ethanol gas, and this baby starts by the third pull. Absolutely amazes me. to keep it from freezing, I leave it running for 10 to 15 minutes after I'm finished (in the back of the truck between jobs) and that helps dry most of the crucial areas for good operation minutes or hours later. Good luck
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

I hate my new Toro single stage. When it is really cold out, it runs poorly and the chute gets stuck in place. My next one will be a Honda.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have 5 Toro 2450's and 1 Toro (Lawnboy) 3650. Hands down best blowers I have used!
  6. PlowNoob91

PlowNoob91 Junior Member

Where can I get used snow blowers? I bought my plow in a dot auction for super cheap. Or do you think I'm better off just buying a new one at Lowes or HomeDepot.

I need it for the side walks of a friend's apartment complex. I plow and clear the walk ways for him. I had been using a shovel but I think I'll upgrade this year. He doesn't pay me much so I need to get one as cheap as possible.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I buy used all the time. You gotta know what your looking for. I find mine on Craigslist....
  8. Martinson9

Martinson9 Senior Member

We learned our lesson. If you buy a Toro, don't buy the one with the blue handle to adjust the chute. You can buy one with a black handle on it hat won't get stuck. They cost less and don't seize up. I personally miss the old Powerlites for doing residential driveways. Easy to get in and out of big pickups and easy to use.
  9. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

The quick shoot Toros are the fastest most productive single stage throwers on the market. What is happening water is working its way into the the cables that run just under the quick shoot knob. Get some Wd40 worked into them...problem solved.