1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blowers and pull plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I am considering a pull plow for my 95 F250 PSD. I normally take two Toro snow blowers in the back of the truck for walks, and need easy access to them. My question is, with a pull plow, could you still have access to the blowers by dropping the tail gate, and having room to pull them out for use. Looks to me like an utter imposibility. Anyone have any tricks for using a pull plow, and having equipment for walks other then a shovel.
    Thanks
    Jay

2. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I always run a Pro-net in the winter, that way I can look back and see my back blade. This makes it nice for backing up to a garage or car.

As far as the snowblower, if they are small like the one i carry its not a problem. There is room on mine to get between the blade and truck, then I slide the blower onto the back blade and then to the ground.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just take your tailgate off and use either the pro net or a 4x4 or 6x6 to keep the snowblowers in. This will give you the visibility you need to to get closer to doors or whatever when you are backing up.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

The pronet is a great idea with or without blowers, has to be better for visibility. I was concerned I might not have room to squeeze between the plow and the truck to get a good size blower out. Looks like I will be just fine. Oh, does anyone know off hand how much a Daniels 7.5 ft plow goes for? I am leaning this way.
    Thanks so much.
    Jay

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Shady, I paid under $2,000. for my 7.5 last yr. Another thing that helps is putting guide markers on it . The one thing I don't like about the Daniels it has no float option.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info on the plow price. I just got some literature today with a quote of just under 2,000 for a 6'8 plow. What is the best size plow for residential drives as a mainstay? I was thinking a 7'5. Oh, and if it gets off the drive in the grass, is it going to get ugly? I am thinking 2000 pounds of pressure on a blade traveling through the grass might get unsightly? Is the 6'8 big enough?

Thanks
    Jay

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

To avoid grass damages, when you approach to the edge of the lawn from driveway, begin to raise your blade a bit, just enough for the blade to be above the ground.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I went off a drive with mine last yr and had no damage but the ground was hard. A 6.8 is good but a 7.5 is better if you have a 7.5 or 8ft in the front of the truck.

9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

You want the back-blade to be wider than your truck. At least wider than your wheelbase, but better if you can see the edge in your side mirrors.

There is nothing better than a back-blade for circle drives. Drop front and rear blades and drive right through. In deep snow, you sometimes have to go through with just the front blade first, then again with just the back.

Since most of the blade is on the drive (only a bit may be over the lawn) we only had one time that the lawn was damaged. The "newguy" plowed the circle drive for a customer that doesn't have a circle drive. Fortunately, he got stuck half way through it, so he didn't tear out the flower beds. :mad:

I have only used a Daniels back plow and I like the down-pressure. I don't know if they are all like this, but the one I used was slow to raise and slow to lower. About 4 seconds I would say.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks so much for your input fellas. I can see the beauty of having the plow extend beyond the truck, 7.5 seems like a winner. Fear to go wider with my narrow circle drives and such, I will try not to forge any new circles in the process. ;)

I like the simplicity of the Daniels design, and the price as well. Do you think you lose anything by not having it raise as high as a snowman? I like the downpressure of the Daniels as well. For residencial use, is there any noticabale advantage in having a plow that will move from side to side? Is it easy to initially install a Daniels, seems like some welding is neccesary?

This is all new to me, but I am pumped! If I can increase my speed by 25 to 30 percent, I would be very pleased!

Thanks again
    Jay

11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

With a back blade, if you wait till it approaches the edge of the lawn, your whole truck will be ON the lawn. You pull with a back blade, not push.