1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blowers/1st year

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makato, May 14, 2005.

1. Makato

Makato Junior Member

Twin Mountain NH, 1500 ft inclined crush pack drive, 80 acres of woods with general open area around the house.
    I'm preparing for my first winter this year. I figure I'll plow with my F-250 but there is minimal room to stack. I'm thinking of having a blower handy for around the house and to blow the edges back. Because I also need to be able to mow brush/saplings and keep the edges and side hills clear, I've been looking at the DR Power Equipment products. There blower attachment is 30'' single stage but they say 1,260rpm auger spin. I've seen all you guys talk about 2 stage only but this thing is touted to handle even wet snow because of the speed. Behind a 17h 2wheel, DR, will this get the job done. Its the difference between a $600 attachment or a separate 2k blower.
    Some of you guys may be lawn guys also so your comments are very welcome on the package I'm checking out. The DR 17h brush mower is touted to knock down anything in it path under 2.5 inches. I need to make some major investments and would appreciate the advice.

2. BASIC

BASIC Member

Makato,sir,I am a landscaper,I haven't heard any good things about the DR products.Buy a Toro,Areins or Honda snowplower.How much area do you have to mow?BASIC

3. Makato

Makato Junior Member

Snowblowers 1st year

Basid, I really have no yard as the house was built on the side of the mountain about 1500' up from the main road. 80 acres of woods. the surrounding edges of the woods, banks and the sides of the drive which is about 1500' in lenth up is where the work is. I want to beat back the woods, keep it trimmed up and also clear the undergrowth which is how I got to the DR products. I guess what I'm saying is a mowing product is not what I want and what I was trying to accomplish was a combo product where I could throw the snow over the banks to keep it from piling and do some heavy duty brush mowing.

4. BASIC

BASIC Member

Makato,check out PlowSite sister web-site,LawnSite.I have not heard anything good about the DR products.Gravley made a multi use mower that was well made but they no longer build it,though you might find one used.I wood buy a good snowblower and a commercial quility hand held weed trimmer/brushcutter.Stihl,Husqavarna,Shidaiwa and Redmax all make good ones.Also don't buy from a box store,find a good dealer who'll be there when you need them.BASIC.

5. A single stage snowthrower will work OK on fresh untouched snow but will not bite into the hard banks left by a plow.
    A two stage blower chews up the banks with the low speed auger and breaks it up into smaller pieces and feeds it into the blower, turning at high speed, to blow it up over the banks.
    You need a lot of power and weight to push into and break up hardened banks left by a plow. Plow banks harden up within hours.
    I hope this helps you.

6. Makato

Makato Junior Member

BCS Info

Basic, that was worth the look. I checked out all the products and it reminds me of the type of gear my dad had many moons ago. I checked around and the closest dealer looks to be in Lebanon NH which isn't too far from Twin Mountain. Given the blower that can be attached and the mechanics, it appears to be pretty stout. I also liked the sickle bar option for cleaning out the woods. Now I just need to find out some competitive pricing for the options. Unless I find something else, I'm probably going for the 732 or the 852.
    Gives me snow throwing, undergrowth management and the ability to use the rotary mower for the grounds. I appreciate the suggestion.

7. BASIC

BASIC Member

Makato,sir,I'm glad i could be of help.Did you find a new Gravely?BASIC.

8. BASIC

BASIC Member

Makato,sir,I saw your post at LawnSite and it answered my question.If you buy a BCS please let me know how it works out for you.Whats the price differense between the 732 and the 852?

9. BASIC

BASIC Member

Makato,sir try this web-site.earthtoolsbcs.com

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have one correction- Plow banks can harden up within minutes, not only hours.
    You may be better off looking to a small utility tractor- like a small Kabota or Ford to which you can attach a normal mower deck, sickle bar (for brush), 3point snow blower, loader, etc.

Not sure what the costs are versus a Gravely or a DR setup- but I do know DR is homeowner stuff hence not as durable as would be expected in that kind of useage.