1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nboeger4, Jan 12, 2010.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

so im looking into getting a snow blower. i just run one sidewalk crew and it seems like it might be a little easier to use a blower on some of the bigger properties/heavier snow falls.

i was looking at this one... does anyone have anything positive or negative to say?

thanks

http://www.lowes.com/pd_189194-270-31AM62N2711_0_?productId=1205268&Ntt=snow blower&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=snow blower

2. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Go Honda or toro snow thrower

3. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

First off I would say to go commercial. Secondly, I would say you might be better off to go to a toro, ariens, honda SINLE stage unit. They WILL move more snow quicker than what the 2 stage troy built you indicated. The problems with the lower-end homeowner dual stage snowblowers is that they are terribly underpowered for the cutting width. The reason I suggest a single stage is because if this machine is strictly for sidewalk crews, these machines can be tossed on and off a truck very easily by one person. Dual stage models need ramps. Also, for a 1-2" snow fall you can push these units as fast as you want, whereas with a dual stage model you are stuck to the predetermined drive speeds.

Take care. Mike

4. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

Ive got a 19" single stage snapper that will blow with the big ones, even 6"-8". Easy to get in and out of the truck. It is light enough to use on steps too

thanks
    R

5. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

well ive looked at other brands but they just dont look like there as strong as the troy built unit. i will agree that normally i wouldnt go with a homeowner brand.

i should also prob state that i dont plan on using this every storm. just the bigger storms or the med storms for my bigger properties that has big areas where theres no where easy to push the snow with shovels.

6. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

the 2 stage blowers i've had in the past only work on about half the snows in our area. these last 3 weeks they would of worked just fine. when the snow is really wet they always tended to freeze up. i have 3 toro single stage 2 cycle blowers that kick ass in all kinds of conditions.

7. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

What Toro's do you have...any of the big ones. I am trying to talk myself into getting maybe the POWER MAX 1128 OXE. Do you guys know any pro's or con's on these?

Thanks

8. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

It's very important to make sure what engine brand it has if it's a toro walk behind. DO NOT buy one with a tecumseh engine. You'll regret it as long as you own it. I think all new ones mow have briggs on them which are fantastic. Good luck.

9. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Yeah, thanks.... The one I'm looking at has a B/S 342cc OHV 4-cycle

Any info on this one? I keep forgetting what the cc's mean compared to HP?

10. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

Check out the sears craftsman. It's always the first one grabed off the truck. All the guys love them
    I have one that is 5 yrs old and have had no problems. The best part of it is the price. I can buy 2.5 craftsmans to 1 toro. A lot ot the contractors around here are going to them because toro has become soooo expensive.

11. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

CC's just stand for cubic centimeters. Kinda like chevy's used to have 350's in them. That meant the engine was 350 cubic inches. Realli in my opinion anything with a briggs on it won't let you down.

12. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

If you are going to be running this for commercial applications, you definatly need a commercial blower. Not one from home depo, lowes ect.... The commercial blowers are built for abuse, ex.. cast iron gears bigger implellers and more power. I have a ariens pro 28 342cc engine costs about 2k. Works great, a homeowner version blower will let you down and you will pay more in the long run...As far as brands Honda, Ariens,Simplicity, maybee John Deere Toro all brands , do youre research spend the money for a commercial model..

13. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

Unless you have a trailer to haul that thing around I would go with a bigger stage one blower. They are allot light and in some cases are cheaper and can do the same job. It looks like a nice big heavy blower, probably like $800.00 right? You can buy a cheap used plow for close to that price. Good luck.

14. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

Im all about power to throw the snow , and reliability, I guess i never thought about the weight of a 2 stage. My sidewalk crew has a ramp to load and unload, it can be a pia. Im in vermont and the snow can get heavy and wet thats why I recomended the 2 stage.

15. EastCoast

EastCoast Junior Member

Get a Honda!

16. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Honda or Toro. with that being said... I use a single stage Toro with a 2 cycle Tecumseh with no issue. For heavy snows I have a MTD two stage... As much as it pains me to say it, they old MTD is a good machine for what it is.

It is about the same as a John Deere same engine, transmission, sheet metal etc.

I prefer the single stage Toro just for ease and speed.

17. JN16184

JN16184 Member

I have that machine. It sat in storage for 4 years, until this year. I was always too busy running with my truck I never had time to deal with it. I got it at an end of season deal for half price, $300. This year, my son is working with me; plus, I had some down time with my truck and had to clear some driveways.....so it came out of storage. It works pretty well, though, and starts easily. It is a bit underpowered and the forward drive doesn't always want to go (works most of the time). For the regular price, It's not a bad machine and fills my need.

18. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have a Honda 928 tracked unit. When I decided to buy a blower the most important issues were performance and reliability. Parts and service were next. The Honda starts EVERY time, no matter how cold it is. I don't have time to mess around trying to get something running or showing employees how to make a substandard unit work well. The bottom line is that it just needs to work. The Honda has stood up to the abuses that employees bring, and has come through like a champ. I have had some issues with very heavy and wet snow (it likes to clog up a bit-as will any blower) but I have started using Fluid Film on the augers, fan, and shute. This has helped. It cost me about $2k but I think it has been worth it. If, like me, you don't have time to waste when it's snowing, go with a high quality unit. It'll pay back big in the long run.

19. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Lowes sux! Get a toro! It's American made although hora does make great generators

20. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I have a Ariens deluxe 30" blower that works great. I was able to clear 4-5ft drifts no problem.