1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

2. chuckers

chuckers Member

I have a john deere I like it alot. but I am not sure if you like there product line. I have a 724D it is about 5 years old and not a problem at all with it. It also throws snow like a champion. Just trying to give you another idea.
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Thank you, I just want all the suggestions that I can get :help:
  4. 4speed

4speed Member

I myself would stay away from the craftsman.Usually they are inferior machines. Iam partial to Ariens IMO they are one of the best out there although I've never had the opportunity to use a husqvarna.
  5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Grassbusters,
    I can't speak for the Husky or Craftsman, but Ariens is a very good unit, I've used them but never owned one. My favorite was probably my dad's John Deere, don't remember the model but it was an 11hp and nothing, I mean nothing slowed that thing down. Only thing...it was a tank, very heavy but very well built. I own a Toro and have been pretty satified with it, but it's a single stage and may be very similar to yours. IMO Ariens, Toro, and JD are good units that should give you years of good service.

6. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I own an Ariens 926DLE. Its a real beast! Whatever you do, don't buy a homeowner snowblower from a place like Home Depot or Lowes. The local dealer I bought my Ariens from told me he has had to fix a ton of these homeowner snowblowers because they are cheaply made. :nono:

Here is a link to the snowblower I have:

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use Ariens and they are excellent. They are easy to service and almost every part can be changed or rebuilt if you need to have it replaced. Buy one from a place that services them as opposed to a place like Home Depot and you will be much happier, even if it is a few dollars more. Great machine, we use them commercially and love them!
  8. Vaughn Schultz

If it is the model Ariens why would it matter where I buy it ? :rolleyes:
  9. JOEC

JOEC Member

What are you clearing ? Im in the chicagoland area. Depending on the snow we will use a snow pusher with wheels. If we have long runs the Atvs come out :redbounce The toro or ariens are great machines. Toro's are light and you could throw them in the back of the truck. Ariens your gonna have to lug a trailer. Hope that was helpful.
  10. Vaughn Schultz

I think I found it

What do you guys think of this one ?

http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/compact_sno_thros/624_e/ :drinkup:

Not trying to be cheep, just trying to stay in winter budget. This will be used for driveways when the plow cant reach them or I cant be there(out plowing commercial :nod: ) so I will have another employee running around with a truck and ramp busting out the driveways. The drives are not really big maybe hold 4 cars? Think this will work for me :confused:
  11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

six horse power. my push lawnmower is 7. i think it would chug in 8" of snow and not to mention slush
  12. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

I would try to get something with the Honda engines on them, Honda makes a nice machine. THe honda engine is also far superior to the other engine. Also stay away from anything made by MTD.
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I will second that statement.

I don'y own a honda but my grandfather does. A great little machine. Both the single and dual stage models will take a beating.

MTD is junk. I have worked on quite a few and they are just a headache.
  14. drplow

drplow Senior Member

if i buy anything with a small engine it would always be a Honda. never any problems, less gas, smaller, lighter, less pollution, more advanced, runs at about half the rpm with the same power as others and you couldn't even compare a Honda with Briggs or Tecumseh. its in a class of its own. :nod:
  15. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

In 2 Stages the MTD branded Units are Best Believe it or Not..They Move snow more efficiently and they are easier to maneuver & Much Lighter...Also Not Much can go wrong & if it does they're Easy to Fix.

MTD has the Best auger/fan/intake system by Far.

You'd be better off w/a Toro Snow Commander than any friction drive 2 Stage or even Better a Rad on a hydraulic tractor.
  16. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I run two blowers. The big blower is an Ariens. The other is an MTD. The Ariens is a 7 HP that is old. The MTD is a 3 HP Walmart single stage unit. Both have served me well.

I have to say that when it comes to 2 stage blowers that Ariens is one of the best.