1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cheesedawg1, Dec 5, 2003.

1. cheesedawg1

cheesedawg1 Junior Member

I am planning to buy a snow blower the kind that you walk behind very soon most likely from my John Deere Dealer or Snapper. I am just wondering what I should look for when buying? Do you guys consider horse power or how wide it is? I plan to do residental houses around my neighborhood. Any comments suggestions?
  2. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

more the horsepower the wider machine will be, 8-10hp should do the job.
  3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

My vote is look for an older heavy duty used garden tractor with a blade or snowthrower attachment- it will be faster than your w/b blower in most cases and that can make up the difference between 2 and 3 driveways an hour- which means more $$$.
    But if you have smaller driveways and maybe more sidewalks then a w/b blower is probably just as fast as a garden tractor. I prefer tractors because they're much more versatile for me and I can't do much excersise in winter because of my asthma so I have to sit. But I realize not everyont has that problem :) Also my drives are larger than many. I suppose you are about to spend around $600-800 on this right? You could get a good older GT and blade/snowthrower for that. But they sometimes require work. So, how deep is your snow usually and how big are your drives?
    Good luck :drinkup:
  4. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

will you be doing drives with the blower or just the walkways?

If the whole drive, buy a heavy duty blower, such as Ariens PRO series. They have bronze bushings, more bearings and a cast iron front gear case. They come in 11/24, 11/28, 13/32 and 13/36.

Have 12 volt key type electric start and handle warmers with light.

here is my new 11/24

locking differential too, makes turning really easy

5. cheesedawg1

The residental driveways are very small around my way. I will also be doing sidewalks which are not that big. So I think my best bet is getting a small push blower not to wide. But I am not sure on exactly what to be spending about or even what to look for when I go to my local dealer.
  6. cheesedawg1

How much did your machine go for?
  7. mole

mole Senior Member

Brush hog boy

Is that a skagg Walk behind with a snowplow attachment on the front. if so what do you use that for.
  8. cheesedawg1

Another one of my concerns is.... I will be walking around my neighborhood doing my lawn care customers driveways. So I do not have any truck or any means of transportation since I do not have a license. I plan just to put that snow blower on and let it self propell to wherever it has to go. Any comments on my approach?
  9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Nice Ariens!
  10. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

My blower was $ 2300 Canadian.

They are at www.ariens.com for $1700 US. You can get them at your dealer for a lot less.

For transport, The ariens and commercial toros have the fastes high speed. It's almost a jogging pace.

model is 11/24DLE pro. The regular LE is a bit cheaper, but many less features
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just remember....

Snowblowers move VERY SLOW!

Your better off kicking into NEUTRAL and PUSHING!

Snowblowers are GREAT! Its getting them around thats the real PITA.

With my salt spreader, I no longer have room for a blower. Ended up selling it years ago. It was a JD 1032.

I make WAY more money with the salt spreader than I'd EVER make snowblowing!
  12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Cheesedawg, after reading your reply I agree a w/b would probably be better for you. But I’d say get a 26” at least, 28 would be nice really. I used my grandpa’s two stage 26” last year at Christmas and not only did I not like the walking but it was slow going. Oh it’s an MTD with a 8 or 10hp Tecumseh with 110 volt electric start (plug into wall to do this, works well and simpler but no battery or lights this way). Well you can kick it into a higher gear and this one actually went a good walking speed, but it’s like with my eXmark mower (TTHP) I really can’t walk behind it because I’ve always had a sulky of one sort or another and I don’t really know how to walk behind a machine. I’ve always ridden, I feel much more a part of the machine that way. So it was harder for me to handle the w/b. plus that your taking a tiny bite out of each swath. With a 4’ garden tractor blade you are overlapping say 12” on each swath, that still gives you 36” and you can go 5mph with that too. That puts you about double the productivity as a 24 or 26” w/b snowthrower. If I had to use a w/b I would never get done with my driveway and my two neighbor’s that I do (probably will do some lawn customer’s this year too). But with a tractor you can’t go off and do all of the sidewalks so you compromise. Again, for you I think a w/b would be great. But for me, with larger drives and less snow, a tractor and blade is the only way to go. I just got done rebuilding one of the blades on one of my tractors. It was a 48” Vplow and I beefed it up a LOT and made it 52” wide not much difference but it helps when overlapping to catch run off.
    Ok, so go get you a w/b rig and bust butt. LOL. Oh yes it will do fine to drive it from job to job in self propel mode. But make sure and get one that goes a good walking speed. They will operate just fine at a good speed if the snow’s not too deep, so the speed helps plus in transport mode. Also my grandpa’s has a locking pin to make it turn one wheel or two. The one wheel is ok if you don’t need lots of traction and/or will be turning lots but if doing more straight longer runs and in deeper snow you needed to put the locking pin in the axle. Nice to have the option even though it’s not controlled from the handlebars it’s no big deal to change it.

Mole, yes it is a Scag walk behind that I used to have. Last winter I made a plow for it. I used it as I would a garden tractor which made it my primary machine. It worked ok in light snows. Worked better than I would have thought but not good enough to be a success really. It would have been great if the thing had larger meatier tires and a few hundred more pounds. I don’t have the Scag anymore, I now have a eXmark Turf Tracer HP 52”.
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to say this.....

you heard it first here........

I agree with Eric, this looks like a good riding tractor application ( no truck, need something to do snow, no license to drive and spending $500>...... go to HD/lowes and look at the tractors on clearence, pick up one for $800 and buy a plow for $200 and for a grand you will have transportation and a plow
  14. cheesedawg1

I went out this morning and quickly bought a toro umm 6.5 h/p snow blower. I paid $740...... :confused: . I think I got too excited seeing all this snow and bought something this mroning. After using it all day with the snow in Jersey it isnt that great. I really should of bought something better....... maby at least a bigger snow pusher. I ended up dragging this thing all around my neighborhood and it was a b****. Do you guys think they would let me trade it in for something better or am I all outta luck?
  15. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

the dealer may take the trade back, ask!. i just used my toro 6.5 h.p. portable and i love it!. but i use a plow as a mainstay and its just to get in the nooks and crannies. for doing just snowblowing you want a 2 stage.
  16. doogiegh

doogiegh Junior Member

Which model?

What model Toro snowblower are you talking here?

I just bought a CCR 3650 off Ebay for $599. Should be here soon.
  17. cheesedawg1

Re: Which model?

I bought the CCR 3650 for 740. I see them on ebay. If had bought one from there i would of been outta luck. Cuz mine broke already after the first day!
  18. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Cheesedawg, sorry to here about your blower. Wondering if you were still interested in the JJ sulkie? Just drop a line either way. Thanks Scott