1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blower with salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by indianabc, Oct 30, 2003.

1. indianabc

indianabc Member

I am planning on getting a SnowEx salt spreader which mounts via the Reese hitch. I can not use a tailgate mounted or swing-a-way because I have a utility body on my truck so I do not have standard tailgate. I need to be able to haul a snow blower as well so I am thinking about grabbing some 2" tube steel and making an extension to go into the Reese hitch with a little tread plate platform on it for the blower and then the salt spreader. I am kinda worried about doing that because that puts the spreader with several hundred pounds of salt a ways out there. I thought I might throw it out to the group for advice and help. You guys have not led me wrong......yet.

P.S. As mentioned before I joined SIMA with a lot of "worries" and just wanted to keep everyone updated that I am VERY happy and highly recommend it to everyone. I called Grace the other day to get some sample contracts and my fax is still running with all the information she is sending to me. Love it!

Thanks

B.C.

P.S. I am going to get pic's up this weekend of my truck for you all to check out.

2. yako

yako Member

support

i dont think it would be a very good idea but if you were to do it you should fab a couple surrorts up to the top corners of the body. youll have to remember its back there when backing up. youll want to watch the weight as well the utility body adds a little plus whatever salt you might have and the few feet of leverage of the hopper bouncing. you might want to get some timbrens in the rear to help with the bounce. good luck

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Bowtie

Who are you responding to?

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I was responding to Indiana.

I don't think that you could make a hitch extension that would be strong enough to carry both the salt spreader and a snowblower. At least it wouldn't be worth the effort. I would attempt to modify a swing-away type spreader before I went to all the trouble of building an elaborate extension with braces and crossbars, etc. Seems like more hassle than its worth, at least to me.

6. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com Junior Member

I have the same Problem I use a Bronco, Its great for tight spots and I can get jobs doen very fast with the short wheel base, BUT the snow blower thing is a real Problem so here is what we cam up with!! Works GREAT!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

drop down

I know this is a old thread but it might help others.Imo its a ford thing LOL .>> this is my swing down mount for my spreader to get in and out of my rear hatch... :waving:

hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

hitch3.jpg

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict