1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower WIth NO Light

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nherweck, Jan 11, 2006.

1. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

It seems I have a bit of a problem... In a few of my clients' areas, there aren't any forms of street lights and hardly any of the homeowners use porch/driveway lights. I have no way to see the driveway unless I have my truck pointing directly at it which requires me to block the street. All I use is a snow thrower to clear driveways, and am looking for a better alternative to this. Are there any lights I can hook up to the thrower? If so, where can I get one? Could I use a spotlight (like police vehicles use for alleys) mounted to my truck? Are those even legal on non-enforcement vehicles? Any ideas would be fabulous! THANKS!
  2. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

since it is only a few clients, what about one of those headband flash lights and just keep it warm and in the cab with lots of batteries.I use mine doing chores at night,and daily use for ten minutes lasts half month,or get a big 6volt flash light and bond a good magnet on it and put on top of flat spot on blower?..there's two cents huh!..there has to be a way you can tap into the electrical on the engine though it seems..
  3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Put a light on your truck that you can adjust with your hand. Maybe a clamp on it so you use it only when you need it.
    They do make a nice remote controll roof light.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yes they are legal on personal vehicles.
    If your snowblower has an electrical system- electric start and battery you MAY be able to add a light. You will need to check with the company to see if that model's alternator generates enough. If there is no electrical system you're looking at a battery powered setup (flashlights- 6 volt lanterns, etc) or a truck mounted light as you mention. It may be possible to add an electrical system to the blower but probabily not cost effective.
  5. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

You didn't list the make/model of your snowblower so it's impossible to give good advice.

If your model has an alternator, you can add a light very cheaply.

If not, it can be very expensive to upgrade since you need a flywheel with magnets etc for the alternator function.

Adding a spotlight to the truck is an option. I'd suggest one of those handheld 1 million candlepower jobs that plugs into the cig lighter. It will require little or no modification to the vehicle and is easily moved to another. Make a little holder for it to rest on the roof so you can point it easily. I bought one at Sams for $15 that I use to find the boat launch on the lake after dark. Works like a charm.

Good luck.
  6. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

What I bought was a Troy-Bilt® 5.5 HP Two Stage Snow Thrower. It has electric start and can be found at http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96177-270-96177&lpage=none . I like the idea of the handheld lantern, or even the light mounted to a magnet then to the thrower...that would work GREAT on the very front above the augor, as long as i don't hit any bumps to knock it off. :dizzy:
  7. yeah that's a good idea, one of those miner lights, the one's you wear on your head. Get an LED one and it'll be plenty bright enough.
  8. gbaker

gbaker Junior Member

Another option is to buy a motorcycle sized battery and mount it on the blower somewhere (quickly detachable mount and electrically disconnect-able). There might be enough room to bolt a small tray for it on the blower housing top. The preferred battery would be a deep cycle battery like used in electric boat motors.
    The get one or two auto lamps with housings you can clamp to the handles or on the handlebar riser posts.
    You can set up the wiring to hook up the battery to the lights when needed.
    I suspect a moderate size battery of say 50 amp-hour rating will drive a 50 watt bulb (typical auto headlight) for around 8 to 10 hours. Bigger battery the longer it lasts.
    Get a Battery charger/maintainer from K-Mart.
    Wire the stuff together with some help.
    You can pop the battery off when done and recharge it for the next time. Or leave it on and charge it there if near the charger.
    The parts may cost $100-$150 (new) or so but then you will have a setup that will last a while.
    Obviously you have to be VERY CAREFUL of dropping or especially shorting out the battery, since the battery has acid, etc. and can explode if shorted. But with care it will work. A gel cell or similar would be better but they are costly and many don't have great deep cycle capability. This will take some research thought and time to put together. The key words when messing with batteries be "extra careful!".
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Go to www.galls.com and buy one that goes next to the drivers side door. You will end up using it for many other things also.:waving:
  10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Get some fog lamps and mount them on top of the auger cowling. Mount your on/off switch to the control panel and wire everything up to your battery.

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  12. ltlm

ltlm Member

yes you can hook up a light for under $20.00 maybe $10.0 depends on whatlight you want. go get a 5in light that most are using for back up lights or you can get a fog light kit. the yellow fog light work best. then on your 5.5hp you should find your wires. yo can hook it up to battery or acc wire. test your wires while off then when runing. on some unites the acc wire is brown or green. some will run a dual red.
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unless the blower's engine has an alternator a single 55Watt halogen fog light type light will drain the battery in minutes.

I used to have a Bronco som eyears ago- the hazard lights drained the Group 34 battery in 20 minutes- the headlights in less than 10.

A motorcycle battery is good for size, but not capacity. I would suggest a rubber work utility type light- they're around 30 watts. Plenty of light mounted on the panel between the handle bars. Don't spend alot of $$ until you're sure the system will work.
  14. Tosh

Tosh Member

15. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Tosh, any feedback on how you like life with a rear mount plow?any tricks to pass on?
  16. Tosh

Tosh Member

The rear mounted plow was my only option short of getting a new vehicle. My suv can't take a front plow. I got the Driveway Superplow, http://www.superplow.com/default.htm, and have been very pleased with it.

I have a couple hundred feet of driveway and the winters 4 or 5 few years back were brutal snow-wise. I looked into the Daniels and almost bought a Snowman, but neither of those strictly pull plows would let me do any mounding. It seems like those two are geared more towards someone who also has a front plow and wants maximum efficiency. The Driveway Superplow can be pulled driving forwards, or pushed driving in reverse, so it gives me more flexibility.

I've participated in a few posts on rear-mounted plows and posted some photos of my plow. If you do a search, you should be able to find them.

17. damguy

damguy Junior Member

The Head light is the way to go. It points where you look so you don't have to turn the snowblower to see something. Most snowblowers don't have altenators or batteries cause they start from an extension cord and 110. Also there are some neat lights that mountain bikes use. Most either helmet or handlebar mount. Check a bicycle shop. Good luck!
  18. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Starting from 110 has no bearing on whether or not it has an alternator. My last two snowblowers have had lighting, heated handles etc that run off the flywheel alternator.
  19. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Well not to be off subject but i have a Honda snow blower. Model # HS520A . It has no alternator ( i believe) and no light. Is it possible to put a light on it. with out mounting a car battery. Also if possible may put a beacon on it So i don't get hit.
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050