1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blower Vs Similar Sized Plow (ATV)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Would like to know what is faster. A commercial walk behind blower vs a similar width plow either on a mini skid steer or ATV.
  2. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

3. leon

leon Senior Member

atv versus snow blower

An atv will work until it no longer obtains traction or is able to pile snow.

A commercial snow blower like the Yamaha 628 or 632, BCS and Grillo gear driven two wheel tractors
    with the 32 inch snow blowers, or the Zaugg Bulldog will remove the snow and get it out of
    the way the first time.

The BCS or Grllo with the 32 inch cutter will be easier to purchase and be able to operate the
    year round and weigh less than the Zaugg Bulldog. Saying that; the Bulldog will handle much deeper
    snows with out making repeated passes just as easily as the Yamahas, BCS, or Grillo.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Both have their advantaages. I have never personally used an ATV with a plow but I have an Ariens snowblower and in my opinion, the advantage of a snowblower over a plow on an ATV is that you don't have to worry as much about where to put snow. With snowblowers, you just have to worry about which way you are blowing it depending on what is around you. As with a plow, you can really run out of places to put snow.
  5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've seen alot of people try using ATV's for plowing and all I've seen is people wasting time while the rest of the crew snowblows/shovel everything off. Most people I know that have them just for there personal driveway dont like them either. I still haven't seen a video on even youtube that can shows me different either. Just buy a snowblower.
  6. yell llc

yell llc Member

i use atvs to do the majority of my 60 residential driveways that i do. i used to use a snowblower only. both do a great job, but the atv does it faster and easier on your body. also, alot of people have never seen an atv in my neck of the woods and hire me than others just for this reason. main downfall is space to stack though.... not too much of an issue if you plan ahead though.
  7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Really We use 4 ATV's on commercial properties they work just find!! you want a video of them plowing I 'll tried to get one for you next strom! I've yet to find a two stage blower move that will move less then a 1" efficantly, It barley throws it out its shout because there just not enough volume of snow gong into it!! you would have to run behind it to make it pick up enough snow. It depends on the width of your sdwk is it wide enough for a large ATV with a 48"+ blade on it. I personally have a Artic Cat 650 an that thing is a beast in plowing and piling snow!! we mainly use ATV's, single stage snow blowes and shovels. the other nice thing is we mount a ice melt spreader on the back of one of them an spread ice melt with it. one less piece of equipement needed on large sidewalks..
    The only down side of running ATV plow is they are really not made to be used a lot. Do some research on the ATV post section on here. Lot of helpfully ideas on them lasting longer while using them for commercial use!
  8. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

assuming you are doing residential drives (and not business lots)you are way better off to get a larger heavy/commercial grade snowblower just for the main reason of distributing / blowing the snow over a larger area of the residential yards, and not piling it up like a plow would do,,which reduces visibility when a vehicle is backing up in the drive way and needs to see traffic or children playing in the area !! I'm sorry but a plow is not going to do that efficiently,unless the plow (atv etc.) pushes snow way into the yard then you have additional issues that your not going to like to deal with.I also would tend do believe the blower would be quicker to load/unload off the truck (imo) .Concerning the lack of heavy snow up to say 3" or so ,,what i do is shovel/push the snow into "quick" rows with my "built" 4foot wide pusher and then knock out the rows with the 2 stager and believe me(with 3" of light snow) i can knock out a 3 car wide x 2 car deep drive in about 5 min. Been doing this way for years. GOOD LUCKussmileyflag