1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blower vs. Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LarsonLawnCare, Mar 3, 2009.

1. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

Last year I shoveled 20 driveways which took 14 hours of back breaking work. This year I couldn't afford a new plow and couldn't find a used one in any good shape. So I decided to buy a snow thrower. I bought a 2 stage 26" toro. I had about 25 driveways and a church with lots of walkways which took me 3 hours last year(with 2 people) to hand shovel (with snow thrower, I was done in 50 minutes) I was done in about 12 hours for everything including drivetime which I figure about 3 hours out of the day, and made $800. Thats about $67 an hour. That's pretty good for a snow thrower. I debated getting the machine because many people on here said to "get a plow" Well this machine was worth the $1400 investment, I just need one more snow and she's paid off.
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

67 bucks an hour, excellant. Nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind as you expand youre overhead should be considered so watch what you charge so that your st ill at your good paying rate. Congrats.tymusic
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

for me i find driveways are where its at... i can make over $150 / hour doing driveways with a truck, and I make about half that doing commericals... but then again, with commercial, salts where its at.. best money maker out there by far IMO, but commercial is usually year round, most resis just want thier snow, they cut thier own grass... so id say stick it out with the blower operation IMO maby get a little bigger one, and rock them out
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Good job so far but if you get a truck and plow you can use the truck year around.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Good for you for really thinking this through and punching the numbers...that's where the proof of success always lies!

Eventually you will grow into needing a truck and plow or at least a second snowblower and someone to run it if you would rather go that route.

Again, congrats on your successes this year so far!
  6. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

I've plowed, shoveled, scraped, and blown snow. I prefer to blow it if I can.

For residential work, I had a John Deere 425 w/cab, heater, and 48" blower. Worked out well, and I could covver a LOT of territory, including a motel, a couple of apartment complexes, multiple residences, including one out on the country with a half-mile driveway and a huge parking area, and still keep up with Wisconsin snow fall.

Yes, trucks are faster, but when it keeps on snowing you have to find a place to move all those piles, and that is when the blower really starts to shine!
  7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member