1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower Roll Pins

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jones68, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jones68

jones68 Junior Member

Hey guys, got an issue with my snow blower. I had to replace the drive shaft that comes through the housing through the impeller into the gear box on the auger. The impeller is held on by 2 roll pins. My issue here is they are seized up terrible. I have tried to drill them and they are just eating up bits like crazy i went to lowes and bought the best bits they had went home put some cutting oil on and tried to drill.....nothing but a mushroomed rounded bit. tried to heat them up and pound them out. im at a loss on this one. any help would be appreciated. im going to post this up on lawnsite too.
    thanks

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If we're talking about the same kind of roll pin compression holds them in, heating it makes them expand more. drilling would make them spin if you don't have a grip on one end. Let it cool, lube em up, get the right sized punch and pound away. If you have good punch set for your air hammer they save alot of sweat and cursing.

3. jones68

jones68 Junior Member

Mr. Markus thank you for the reply. I should have specified that i heated the outer part where they go through no the actual pins. as for the drilling they do not spin they are so corroded in the hole

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What are the "best bits they had"? You need cobalt (the material, not to be confused with the brand "Kobalt") bits to drill stuff like that.

5. jones68

jones68 Junior Member

Yes they were dewalt cobalt. But i ended up giving in and took it to the metal shop they used their 100 ton press thanks guys

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The other thing, for drilling difficult and/or hard things, a drill press is essential. It keeps everything lined up, pressure constant/optimal, and speed constant/optimal. A handheld drill is basically just a bit breaker. I use handheld drills only for percussion, mixing, wood/plastic, and very rarely, when there is just no other option.