1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blower ramp

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bel-nor, Jan 7, 2010.

1. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

HELLO TO ALL.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND FOR GRIPPING ON 2X6s USED AS RAMPS FOR LOADING HEAVY TORO BLOWER. THE BARE BOARDS ARE TOO SLICK

2. I use a couple of 2X8s with 3 strips of 1" wide grip tape. (kinda like sandpaper) works good if you remember to put the side with the grip tape down in the back of the truck so it doesn't get snow and ice on it

I've also used 1/2" x 1" wood across them about every 4"

3. F150dash

F150dash Member

Cut some three tab roofing shingles down and nail them to the 2x6's rough side up (side u would see on a roof) works great I have had mine for about 8 years and used them with a snowblower and 4wheeler.

4. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I cut 1/2 inch deep groves spaced 3 inches with a chainsaw.
    Took abouty 2 minutes with my 272 XP.

Grip tape and shingles won't work when they have ice on them.
    And the scrapper bar did catch on the added strips. So that's why I inverted the groves instead of using the strips.

It will hold my JD tractor with 42" blower.
    I made it for my Big walk behind blower though.
    But then again......... I have xtrac tires on that blower too.

5. BlownL67

BlownL67 Junior Member

6. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually that is why I cut the groves in on my ramps.
    Same principle design.

7. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

thats exactly right

8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I just ran a bunch of hex head sheetmetal screws into my 2x6 ramps. No slipping now!

9. F150dash

F150dash Member

So what happens when those grooves fill with ice??
    I leave my ramps in the back of the truck covered in snow and ice and the blower still gets full traction on the shingles....plus it is cheap and easy....and cutting a groove in a 2x6 even half an inch will weaken it terribly.

10. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Good question.
    I've used mine for 3 years and never had that problem.
    It seems the wood absorbs the water for some reason.
    When it's to cold for ice, the snow usually falls right off.:confused:

Other than that I have never had them fill up with ice.
    And the tires grab the lip edges of the grooves. The grooves are not there
    for the tires to sink down into the bottom of the groove.
    It's just a very effecient traction aid, which works great with chains or xtrac tires.

11. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I love those .
    I did that with a pair of tennis shoes and
    went ice fishing.

12. brimfield

brimfield Member

I used scrap strapping and it works great.

13. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

concerning the weaking of the boards,( i also cut grooves) i dont use 2x6 but instead 2x8 and i cut them at 6 ft. instead of the 8 ft. lengths. by using 6 ft.boards there is more ridgidity & less flexing (imo) when ramping the 260# blower. but no, there really is no threat of breaking the boards. when i finish a job. i hit the tires with a small bball bat to knock off any remaing snow and ice on the x tires. ramps are face down when not in use(keeps grooves clean):) let it snow!!

14. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

hey unit, how wide are those groves?1",2",3"?

15. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I dunno,
    I'll have to waite for the snow to melt out of them to check.:D

The first board I did was 1 1/2 to 2 inches and roughed it. The second board I just ran the width of the bar {vertical} which is 1/4 inch. I added a 2x4 to the back for support

For steep angles go with 2
    your milage may vary.

16. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I've put strips of wood across the boards and it works, but every thing that goes up there, bounces and that could be a problem with a tractor or a Quad.

I might try the expanded metal (Diamond Shaped) but that would make the ramps a lot heaver.

17. drh76

drh76 Junior Member

I put griptape on 6x8s, tape will fill with snow but blower still walks up fine. Goings down I slide with blower. I have a six foot bed and the ramps sick out but the extra length make getting up and down easier.